Feeling lost

I always worry about everything. I spend all my time studying, I want to join activities, but I feel guilty, and although I spend the whole day studying, only 1-2 hours are efficient. And I find I also have a very bad memory, I always cannot remember what other people said just now, always absent-minded. What should I do?

It can be a challenge to balance work and play– however, you are definitely not alone in this dilemma as many university students experience this feeling at different stages of their degree. Feelings of worry and guilt can be an overwhelming and frustrating experience that can express itself in unhelpful ways, such as feeling anxious or depressed, can lead to procrastination, reduced concentration and memory difficulties.

It seems as though university and study is an important aspect of your life. However, it is also equally important to develop a functional study routine that works for you in this stage of your university life. This might include prioritising the most important thing that needs to be worked on, regularly reviewing your progress on a set task, re-thinking your study regime and taking time to reward yourself and practice regular self-care (e.g. catching up with a friend, have a treat like chocolate etc).

In the meantime, here are a few ideas to consider:

• Including some regular exercise in your day is likely to be good for your mood and may ease feelings of tension. This may flow on to helping you study more effectively.
• Could you allocate some time to pursue some extra-curricular activity? For example, joining a sporting team or book club? Alternatively, there are often lunch time activities on campus at uni. The Student Union Information desk may be a good place to start as they have information about the social groups, interest groups and sporting groups that are available.
• The Academic Skills Unit can help with you academic difficulties where you can book for an individual session or drop-in for academic writing feedback sessions and more.

You can find some information on procrastination here. If you feel that you would like some further assistance with positive ways to cope you can book a free and confidential appointment with one of the counsellors at Counselling and Psychological Services