Struggling to get it together

I haven’t been putting in as much effort as I once did to my studies because I always have a lot in my mind. It’s been going on for quite a while and it’s really affecting not only my studies, but also my interaction with other people. I’ve never been good in communicating to others for them to understand that I need help.

For many, university can be a challenging time. With assignments, deadlines, exams, and a social and work life to balance, there are many things that can keep the mind busy. It seems you have a number of different things that are worrying you, and sometimes this can have an effect on other areas of our life such as studies or our relationships. It appears, however, that you have a good insight in to your own experience and this is a great first step.

It sounds like your mind is racing around trying to make sense of many things all at once. This can be quite common; after all, part of the brains job is to figure things out! The problem is that this can sometimes be overwhelming, and make life much harder. There are a number of strategies that can be helpful if you are feeling overwhelmed. If your concerns relate to the stress of university itself, simple strategies such as time management, breaking big tasks in to smaller, manageable tasks, and early preparation can be very helpful. The Academic Skills unit will be able to help you with these matters and can even provide individual appointments up to four times a semester.

Others however find that practicing relaxation strategies such as mindfulness, deep breathing and meditation can be really good strategies to manage anxiety and to calm an overactive mind. There are a number of free resources on the Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS) website that can guide you through these strategies. But most importantly always remember the vital importance of Self-Care: healthy diet and eating habits, routine exercise, and sleep are always important factors in maintaining a clear mindset.

If you are finding it difficult to open up to others to ask for help, it may be useful to speak to a counsellor. Counsellors at CAPS are experienced in working with stress and other related issues in a confidential, non-judgmental environment.