NewsBank (Trial)

This trial will end on 4 November 2011

- Access to NewsBank will continue after the trial ends as the Library now has a paid subscription -

NewsBank Access World News is the most comprehensive collection of full-text newspapers globally.  It provides extensive coverage at any level — local, regional, national and international. 

This fully searchable Web-based resource features hundreds of hard-to-find local and regional titles, most of which are unavailable elsewhere, along with national newspapers and titles from major cities globally.   Additionally, Access World News offers hundreds of other news sources from scores of countries on six continents, translated into English when written in other languages.

6 Comments

1. Andrew Toogood
    Posted September 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

It would be great to have an additional source of world and regional news to complement that provided by Factiva and Lexis Nexis Academic.

2. Michelle Hall

I found it very easy to use (search/selecting results) and *much* more intuitive than other databases such as Factiva and LexisNexis. All the results are in English which will be helpful for students; if necessary they could then go back and see our other Japanese newspapers online (Yomidas Rekishikan, Kikuzo (Asahi)) for the original text. Would very much like a subscription to this!

3. Rachel Salby
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I am very familiar with NewsBank having used it extensively in a previous job. It will be an excellent resource that will allow our students and researchers to keep up to date with news relating to Education. It is very easy to use.

4. Posted October 10, 2011 at 2:23 am | Permalink

I found this database very easy to use, but frustrating in the lack of controls that I am used to such as ADJ to ensure linkage in such a large database. I did not find a NOT conditional either. In both cases fuller search management syntax might be there but I did not see it in my trials.
    I use Boolean conditionals whenever I can, thus my comment.
    The database starts in 1986 which made most of the queries I tried fail on this scoping issue

However I doubt if this would be a significant limitation for many if not most users.

Again I did not immediately find a sources/journals search to see if certain parra were included or not

5. Posted October 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

This is a much more comprehensive list of newspapers than Factiva or Lexis-Nexis. I have a list of about 50 American newspapers in which I am trying to do content searches. Newsbank can get me data on about 40 of them. Factiva is next, with about 20. I wish, however, that there was better download functionality.

6. Posted October 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I would love to have a subscription of this available on campus.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*