Focus on the Bachelor of Oral Health

The Bachelor of Oral Health can lead to many diverse career options and future study opportunities.

About the degree

The Bachelor of Oral Health is a three year, full-time course with a combined vocational outcome of professional registration as an oral health therapist (covering both dental hygienists and dental therapists).

The course covers four main areas:

• Oral health sciences
  • Social sciences and health promotion
  • Preventive and clinical dentistry
  • Vocational clinical practice

Bachelor of Oral Health graduates provide dental care in collaboration with dentists and work as oral health therapists in both the public and private sectors, general and specialist practice, and in oral health promotion.

Graduates find excellent employment prospects in private practice, public hospitals and health services. There are also career opportunities in research, education and public health.

Filling the gaps

Dental therapists primarily provide dental care for children, adolescents and young adults and are able to examine oral and dental conditions, restore and conserve permanent and deciduous teeth, perform extractions of deciduous teeth, and remove calculus.

Recent changes in national legislation mean dental therapists are also able to provide care to adults under certain circumstances, meaning more opportunities for graduates to work in clinical settings.

Entry requirements

To apply for the Bachelor of Oral Health, applicants must meet the VCE prerequisites (units 3 and 4):

• A study score of at least 25 in English / English Language / Literature or at least 30 in ESL
  • A study score of at least 25 in Biology or Chemistry

Natalie’s choice

Third year Bachelor of Oral Health student Natalie Vlainic worked as a dental nurse in a private practice before deciding to return to university to pursue further study.

“I chose Oral Health because I was already working in the area so I knew what it was all about. I had a lot of support from the staff at work and they really wanted me to continue, so everyone told me to study at Melbourne,” she explains.

One of the highlights for Natalie has been the elective subject, which has allowed her to travel to the Northern Territory to perform clinical work in remote Indigenous communities and discover a passion for Indigenous health.

“For my elective study unit I chose to do nutrition and the effects on oral health in Indigenous communities. I had the chance to visit remote communities in the Tiwi Islands to see first-hand how nutrition impacts the oral health of those in the communities, which was a fantastic experience.”

Visit the Bachelor of Oral Health website

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.