Melbourne degrees 101

You probably know that Melbourne’s degrees are a little different to those on offer at most other Australian universities. But how exactly do they work, and what does it mean for you?

Flexible options, plenty of possibilities
At Melbourne, we want to make sure your studies equip you for whatever your future holds. That’s why we provide flexible options, so you can tailor your degree to suit your passions and goals.

Your first step is to choose an undergraduate (bachelors) degree. Most bachelors degrees will take you three years to complete if you’re studying full time.

Simon Matthews
“At Melbourne I have been equipped to think outside the square and tackle big issues in unexpected ways. I want to use what I’ve learned to contribute to a sustainable, inclusive future.”

Simon Matthews, Bachelor of Commerce and Diploma in Languages

Selecting your major
Your major is the study area that you’ll focus on throughout your degree. There are 100 majors to choose from at Melbourne – we cater for every area of interest, from chemistry to criminology!

If you’re already certain about the career path you’d like to take, you can choose to focus on a specific major from day 1 of your degree.

Or, if you’d like to explore all of your interests and options, most Melbourne degrees allow you to take a wide range of subjects before settling on a major. Many of our students discover new and exciting career and personal interests by choosing subjects they might not have thought of or studied before.

Rhiannon Kane
“I’ve loved exploring other interests via my breadth subjects. I have done a semester of choir, learned basic programming skills and now I’m taking a film-making subject.”

Rhiannon Kane, Bachelor of Arts

Get an edge with breadth
Most Melbourne degrees allow you to take some subjects outside of your main discipline area. This allows you to pursue a skill or passion outside of your main degree, and discover new opportunities you might never have thought of before.

What’s next?
Once you have completed your bachelors degree, you could:

Have you decided which degree you’d like to study yet? Let us know in the comments!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Melbourne degrees 101

1. Shawn Waltz says:

How and where do I apply? Who can I send my CV, Resume, and transcripts to get an opinion if I would be accepted? I am very much interested in pursuing a PhD in Education at university of Melbourne,

Thank you for your time.

2. Nicole Lai says:

Hello, I’m thinking of studying in uom this coming 2015. Do you have a rough guide for students expenses including tuition fees, apartment fees and etc?

3. H H Basarin says:

I am a Melbourne alumni (MUP83). I would like to study for a postgraduate research degree (a PhD?).
    I currently have a number of potential areas in mind which I would like to explore.
    One area I could look into is exploring the impact of philanthropy on the settlement process of immigrant communities. I already have a particular community in mind.
    It has been a very long time since I had studied. Therefore, I am probably initially looking at commencing part-time.
    I am not sure how to proceed from this point on.
    Any advice?
    Kind regards

4. H H Basarin says:

Hi there. I had left a comment there yesterday.
    As I mentioned I have a number of postgrad research topics in mind.
    Maybe I should not bother you by seeking advice until such time as I can articulate each and consider which one I would rather proceed with.
    Thanks you and kind regards

5. sally saliba says:

i would like to know the choices that i have if i want to study after bachelor of science in math and what papers i have to prepare because i am from lebanon