On your bike…

For most of my teenage years I had always wanted to get a road bike, you know the type, super light weight, funny gears change levers, drop bars… However, the main reason I couldnt was because along with the carbon fibre and light metals comes the high price tag. But, eventually I saved up enough to get my self one (not an easy task at a few grand – as much as some friends spent on their cars). Im really into it now, keeps you fit (in my case for hockey), its another form of transportation and I sit it in my bedroom like a piece of art.

However theres more to it then that, when you become passionate about bikes you tend to get really passionate. As like the professionals that know what heart rate and cadence to stay on to maximise energy consumption, I too now have a GPS heart rate monitor that can track those things and although I haven’t mastered by efforts on the bike its a pretty interesting bit of technology to have. Its connected to my bike and transmits a signal to my computer when I have finished a ride (or run). Then through the Garmin website (a GPS company) I can track my bike ride virtually. The locations, the elevations, my heart rate on a particular climb, how fast i’m pedalling, all from a thing the size of your watch (because it is a watch – with a bike mount)

This summer, I think I might try bike racing…