Science, Where’s My Butterfly?

We’ve all been working very hard on our amazing group projects this semester. We’ve seen some great results – the Visions episode and radio broadcasts, and I’m sure the upcoming art exhibit will prove just as wonderful.

There are a few of us who have been working on our own science videos, away from higher quality, legitimate productions with loyal followings. Our audience is a little more limited, and Jessica Taurins, Rachel Taylor and I would be extremely grateful if you could all take a look at our video, too.

Here’s a quick summary. Apparently a few people in this world have never experienced the joy and whimsy of having a butterfly land on them; Jess was one of them. But using science (using the principles of butterfly vision), we conducted an on-location study at the Melbourne Zoo Butterfly House to see which colour shirt you should wear to get the most amount of butterflies landing on you.

You do want to be the envy of all your friends, right?

So please, have a look at our video. We’d also really appreciate it if you could let us know your thoughts (even anonymously by leaving a fake name instead of signing in to comment). Good or bad, we want to know what you think. Here are some questions we’d like you to specifically answer, if you could (but extra advice/comments are always welcome!):

– Was the science understandable?

– Were you interested in the protagonist?

– What was the overall quality of the video (low, average, high)?

– Which age group did you think this was aimed for?

And of course, here is the video:

Thanks, everyone! 🙂

4 Responses to “Science, Where’s My Butterfly?”

1. Justine Philip says:

Hi Kristal,

I have no idea what the previous comments are on about. I enjoyed the video, and the sound in the butterfly house is not distracting- It helps to show that this is an interactive experience.

I think the team work well, and look forward to your next collaborative film. For a young audience it makes science accessible and fun. We can’t do the dinosaurs, but how about a trip to Healsesville.

Thanks! Justine

2. HULK says:

1. HULK UNDERSTAND SCIENCE NOW. HULK NOW COVERED IN BUTTERFLIES

2. HULK WANT TO PET JESSICBURGERS HEAD. HULK ENJOY BUTTERFLIES

3. HULK NO ENJOY CHILDREN

4. HULK HAS NO AGE

3. Tony Stark says:

You guys want questions answered…

1. Sure it was. I’ll admit, I didn’t major in butterflies at MIT, but this was totally understandable. If…you really want butterflies to use you as a rest stop, that is. I think I’ll stick to standing around, being badass and butterfly-free, thanks.

2. Ironically, this was a tough one. It almost seemed like a pointless question until I realised I couldn’t give a toss as to whether she can properly associate with a bunch of little winged creatures. And when I say associate, I mean they get to use her as a runway and she stands there and enjoys it.

3. Depends on which part. Overall, it was average, the parts in the butterfly house being the most difficult to keep under control with a bunch of screaming toddlers in the background. But I can understand the difficulty of getting a public place completely empty, unless you have the budget for it. …Okay, so I don’t understand now having the budget for something. But I know it’s a thing.
    I can’t forgive you for the star wipe, though. That was-….urgh.

4. Anybody who wants to have butterflies stuck to them, I suppose. I’d say it’d work for kids, but they’d be too excitable and fidgety. Ever tried landing on a moving object? It’s a less-than-pleasurable experience. So…I don’t know. Hippies? People who want to become “one with nature”? I don’t know.

4. THOR ODINSON says:

1. YOUR MIDGARDIAN SCIENCE TERMS WERE EXTREMELY EASY TO UNDERSTAND. I AM NOT SO WELL VERSED IN SCIENCE OR MAGIC, BUT EVEN I, A WARRIOR, COULD UNDERSTAND. PERHAPS I CAN USE THIS KNOWLEDGE TO MAKE BUTTERFLIES LAND ON THE MIGHTY MJOLNIR SOME DAY!

2. I WAS VERY INTERESTED IN THE PLIGHT OF THE FAIR MAIDEN JESS. I WANTED HER TO SUCCEED IN HER ENDEAVOR TO MEET A BUTTERFLY! AS AN ASIDE, I MUST COMMEND HER ON HER CHOICES OF TUNIC. THE WONDER WOMAN IS INDEED A COURAGEOUS SHIELDMAIDEN, AND I THANK YOU LADY JESS FOR WEARING MY FAIR FACE UPON YOUR TORSO. YOU DO ME GREAT HONOUR.

3. ALAS, THE VIDEO WAS OF AVERAGE QUALITY. IT WAS QUITE DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND THE SCIENTIST DURING THE PARTS IN THE BUTTERFLY PALACE, DUE TO ALL THE SCREAMING YOUNGLINGS IN THE BACKGROUND. PERHAPS I CAN SMITE THEM FOR YOU NEXT TIME?

4. YOUR MOVING PICTURE FELT LIKE IT WAS AIMED AT MUCH YOUNGER VIEWERS, OR AS MY BROTHER LOKI WOULD SAY, IT WAS DEFINITELY SUITED FOR ME AND PEOPLE OF MY INTELLIGENCE! OH, WHAT FUN!

THANKYOU, LADY KRISTAL, LADY JESS, AND LADY RACHEL. YOU HAVE DONE THIS WORLD A GREAT SERVICE BY YOUR DISTRIBUTION OF SACRED KNOWLEDGE.