That no so pesky little thing called PMS

It is that time of the month. It was the excuse I told my boyfriend when I changed my mind from having sausage roll into fried rice for dinner in less than 5 minutes.  It is also probably one of the most common excuses women ever said to her friends, or even co-workers. It is quite frustrating, at the era when feminist movement is starting to get its spotlight, that women still cannot talk about menstruation in public without getting a judgmental, or even disgusted look. In addition to that, women still had to deal with the PMS symptoms, because let me be frank here, it is much worse than the actual bloody week itself.

What we ended up having for dinner that night. Fried rice never taste better. Image source: author’s own image.

Hormonal Imbalance? How does that happen?

Maybe you have heard this countless time during your sex education class in school. But just to give your mind a quick refresh, if a woman is not pregnant, the level of progesterone and estrogen in her body will drop causing the shedding of the uterus wall as well as the released of the unfertilised egg. This hormonal fluctuation during the menstrual cycle is also lead to emotional instability during the PMS period. And true, not every woman is dealing with the same PMS issue. Some women might feel like the stress from the past months are starting to catch up with them, haunting them night and day that could lead to depression. While others might get extra cranky at normal daily occurrence, such as a crowded Union House during lunch time.

Wait, what about cravings? Or my body is just looking for an excuse?

If you are thinking only hormones that are involved in the menstrual cycle, then I must tell you that you are wrong. Neurotransmitter, like serotonin, are also having their roles in PMS. Those suffering from severe PMS have been known to have a low serotonin level. And you might be able to guess where you can get extra serotonin from. Yep, the best way to increase serotonin level is from complex carbohydrate. So, when you are having your PMS, or your partner is suffering through one, and they crave for sweets, you better help them to get one. It is the way of their body to fight off those dreaded PMS symptoms. Or if you are like me who is not a big fan of sweets, you can still get your carbs fix with pasta, or even rice. So yes, go forth and indulge your cravings because they will make your PMS a bit better.

Serotonin will ease your PMS symptoms. Image Credit: Nicole via Flickr.

It is not science fiction

Despite the ongoing debate, PMS is a real thing. Some women have it worse than other women. It is not an excuse some women came up with to chuck a sickie. Some have it bad to the point they end up ignoring a life-threatening condition like a heart attack just because they said it is not as bad as their period pains. So, maybe the idea of having a period leave is not so bad after all.

6 Responses to “That no so pesky little thing called PMS”

1. Hey mbrian, sometimes it does feel like that, doesn’t it?

2. Hey awilson 3, I do wish sometimes I am a male haha so I could stop dealing with all of this.

3. Hey Harriet, I used to have a really bad cramp and pain during PMS because my PCOS as well. But I am better now. I hope you can manage your own PMS as well.

4. Harriet Engle says:

Wow, “indulge”? It’s not indulgence, it’s self-preservation. Between cramps, blood loss, sleep disruptions, etc. the carb cravings are because we need extra energy to keep functioning at a near-normal level. And that’s not counting the body’s needs if a woman is plagued with other complications, e.g. PCOS, endometriosis, poorly performing adrenals or thyroid, or any number of chronic conditions.

5. mbrian says:

Fantastic news! I think I my PMS for craving sweets is extended throughout the whole month!

6. awilson3 says:

Interesting! If only I were female… then I’d have a legitimate excuse to indulge once a month! Good work 🙂