Not getting enough sleep? You’re actually torturing yourself!

Every time you don’t get enough sleep, you put your body through a decline in health and well being.

credit half life – so zzzz via flickr

Sleep is so important. It’s always been obvious that it is an enormous part in staying healthy, but people never really tell you why.

So let me open up with a story that can summarise to you why good sleep is so crucial:

“I didn’t really think sleep was necessary,” my friend Sophie told me before our exam, “if I could do better in this subject by studying more.” And although she did smash her exams with flying colours, (and I’m very proud of her for that,) sleeping so little evidently took a toll on her.

A week later she was still recovering.

credit Sander van der Wel via flickr

Sophie was struggling to get into her usual sleeping habits, resorting to bingeing on her cappuccinos with 2 sugars to stay remotely aware and wandering around the campus like a zombie without a drive.

Remember, only a single day of little sleep did this to her. Imagine what would’ve happened if it was 2 days, or even 3.

Well good thing you don’t have to imagine, because science has found that out for you!

Sleeping less than 7 hours a day not only makes you drowsy but also impairs your decision making skills, drastically reduces reaction times and is just straight up terrible for your health.

Does that sound familiar?

Yes, being sleep deprived is like chugging a couple of beers every morning and then going straight to work.

Sleep Deprivation can make you act similarly to being drunk, a study shows.

And if the majority of us know not to drink and drive, why are we sleep-deprived and driving? Why are we sleep-deprived while doing anything?

It sounds pretty silly doesn’t it?

But we know many people that do it- heck, even I do it sometimes. Whether its to finish watching the latest Game of Thrones episode or cramming in those last few pages of lecture notes for the exam, we are all guilty of doing this to ourselves. It’s no secret.

Okay, so we’ve talked briefly about how getting too little sleep affects your day to day functioning. But now let’s delve into a scenario where you get no sleep at all.

Pulling all nights over a few days is more torturous than you realise.

credit Thomas Hawk via flickr

Sleep deprivation is actually used as an interrogation technique on prisoners held in captivity. Having a lack of sleep leaves you mentally drained, and being in that state makes it harder to lie or even to realise what reality is. Interrogators exploit this, and usually question suspects when they grow tired, when all they want to do is to desperately doze off to sleep.

Preventing someone from sleeping for 2 days causes them to be extremely disorientated. At 3 days, it crosses ethical lines because people start to go insane and have hallucinations of things that aren’t really there.

I’m not going to lie, it’s pretty scary stuff.

Although getting poor sleep can never be compared to getting none, you now know that sleep is no joking matter.

So the next time you think sleep can always be compromised for whatever activity you want to do, think again. Sleeping for less than 7 hours on a daily basis will not only have immediate effects, but long term effects on your mental and physical health.

Sleeping does nothing but good for your body! All of your organs will love you for resting your head on a pillow, so consider how drained they become from working overtime and start giving them enough rest.

P.S. If you’ve decided to have better sleeping habits but don’t know where to start, just follow this link to this article I highly recommend. These tips are simple but highly effective if you use them right. Good luck and happy sleeping! 🙂

7 Responses to “Not getting enough sleep? You’re actually torturing yourself!”

1. Nicole Nguyen says:

Hi Marco! I’m glad you can connect with this blog post! I’ve been trying to do some research to answer your question and I’ve found a link to another blog post where the author was trying to find the cause of hallucinations!

Here it is:
    http://www.neuwritewest.org/blog/why-do-humans-hallucinate-on-little-sleep

And here is another post where a person recounts their sleep deprivation experience:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/how-sleep-deprivation-decays-the-mind-and-body/282395/

In Summary, I feel like it is the combinations of chemical imbalances in the brain, exhausted organs and worsening visual perception that you get with sleep deprivation that can lead to hallucinations. However, I think you should look through them and come to a conclusion yourself, they are very interesting posts to read. 🙂

2. Nicole Nguyen says:

Haha definitely! 🙂 It’s a struggle with all of our assignments and tests but we still need to think about setting up good habits now, since it’ll affect our health in the future.

3. James L says:

I guess I shouldn’t drive when I’m sleep deprived anymore. Thank you for this as it may have just saved my life.

4. Nicole Nguyen says:

No worries!! 😀 I’m really glad that this was helpful to you.

5. Hei-Wui says:

I’ll be able to use this information to my advantage! Thanks!

6. Marco M. says:

I identify myself with this one so much and have been putting off a real change in my sleep habits for too long. The part of hallucinations as a consequence of sleep deprivation captured my curiosity. What is going wrong in our brains after three days without sleeping in such a way that even reality starts to crumble apart?

7. randersen says:

I think this topic speaks to all of as us uni students! It’s good to highlight the importance of actually sleeping enough.