This morning we made some changes to the University’s google search tool which will deliver us more control and fix an annoying bug or two. Impact is expected to be virtually nil – users should not experience any degradation of service, but the following features should be added.
- The search term will remain in the input field
- Faceted searches will be introduced (initially News, Events, Experts)
- Domains outside unimelb.edu.au, but still part of the University can be added
- We can start gathering stats on our searches
- Greatly simplified search query syntax
The added control this change will give us means that we will be able to add more features over time. We’ll let you know as they happen.