Detached

Hey, I’ve been feeling very disconnected with everything recently. I don’t feel sad or angry, but I just feel empty? Detached? Frankly, this is affecting my study quite a lot. I have no sense of urgency. I don’t feel panicked when deadlines for my assignments are coming. Last semester, I submitted all my assignments late. Everyday I feel like getting up is a chore, but not to the point that it completely hinders my overall functioning. I can’t distinguish if this is only my laziness or it’s really something serious? I don’t know if my situation warrants enough reason to seek professional help.

Awareness is the first step to address problems. So good call to connect with us! Your question actually highlights a very important issue for people wondering whether or not they should seek professional help. It is useful to remember that people seek professional help for a variety of issues of varying severity, all of which are equally valid concerns.

The changes you are describing may be warning signs of a mental health problem, even if you are not experiencing symptoms (e.g. persistent depressed mood) that are commonly seen as a reason to seek professional help. Equally, they may not be a sign of any underlying problem at all. It is hard without further exploration to identify what could be at the bottom of this change. Many of us from time to time will experience periods of reduced productivity. For some, this may be related to life stress or loss of motivation. For others, a loss of interest in things that are important to them can be a symptom of emerging depression or another mental illness.

What stands out to me is that you have identified a change in the way you feel that has had a big impact on your ability to function academically. This in itself is certainly reason enough to book a session with one of our counsellors. We are a low-threshold service for exactly that purpose: to identify what could be going on, and to find out if there are mental health concerns, or if there is something else that should be addressed.

An appointment (or more if required) where you can talk frankly in an open-minded atmosphere might just help you to figure out what is going on and what steps you can take to address this before things get out of control. There is no particular criteria you have to meet to access professional support, in fact, most of the time it is better to seek help before things get too severe.

To connect with us you can book an appointment here. You may also find it helpful to take a look at some of the self-help resources or workshops that are offered by Counselling and Psychological Services. In addition, an appointment with your GP may be a good first point of contact. They can work with you to review any physical health issues and discuss other referral options for with you.