Emotion management

I feel I’m too sensitive. 1. I feel I actually don’t have friends. When I talk to them, some of their behaviours and words make me feel they actually don’t care about me. 2. I can easily feel anxious or angry. 3. I have issues in relating to my family. I try to manage my emotions, but sometimes I couldn’t help myself to argue with them. 4. Last semester I failed one of my subject. For nearly one month, I did not want to talk to anyone.

It can be hard to know what is ‘too sensitive’. Sometimes our emotions may seem stronger than we think they ‘should’ be, and sometimes they seem stronger than other people’s, but that doesn’t mean that they are wrong. Strong emotions can also be helpful as they are our brains way of telling us something important.

If you are finding your emotions to be overwhelming, or they are affecting your ability to relate to other people or your studies in a helpful way, then it can be useful to learn some new ways to respond to them. Being able to understand why you feel so strongly about something is important, as is treating yourself and your emotions with self-compassion. Judging your emotions as too strong or yourself as too sensitive will often lead to more distress, whereas responding with compassion and without judgement will make it easier to manage and communicate your emotions and in turn help you take more effective action in your life.

Self-compassion is important as we as human beings are inherently flawed; we are not supposed to be perfect. Self-compassion means you are kind and understanding when confronted with personal shortcomings and can re-focus your attention to ways of improving yourself for next time. A simple self-compassion strategy is to imagine how you would treat a close friend if they disclosed a similar situation to what you have experienced.

There are many useful tools that can help people better understand their emotions without judgement, and to manage those emotions in a healthy and more helpful way. If you’d like to try some other techniques on your own there are several resources you can try, such as mindfulness. However, you may find it easier to learn and practice these techniques with the help of a counsellor. Counselling and Psychological Services provide short term, confidential counselling, as well as well as a range of workshops throughout semester that you may find beneficial.