Anxious about travel restrictions

I am in China currently and I don’t know when I can get back to Australia. I’m worried about how this will affect my studies and whether I will still be able to graduate on time. I feel extremely anxiety and I could not sleep for more than one week and I feel sadness all day. I don’t know what should I do.

Thank you for asking this question, as you are definitely not alone in experiencing uncertainty and anxiety about this issue. First, it’s important to try to stay up to date on advice from the University of Melbourne. You can do this by going here to get information about what support is available to you, as well as advice that may be specific to your course. Also make sure you are regularly accessing your student portal and ensuring you are reading any updates that may be sent from the University.

Even with this information, it’s normal to experience stress, anxiety and sadness. When situations are uncertain and evolving such as this one, it can be very difficult to manage the anxious thoughts and worries that come up. This anxiety can also have physical symptoms such as disturbed sleep. Where possible, make sure you are communicating with supportive friends or family, try to keep a healthy sleep routine and practice self-care. For some more advice on how to manage stress and anxiety, have a look at the Counselling and Psychological Services website.