On the 11th Day of Copyright Christmas …

On the eleventh day of Copyright Christmas, my true love gave to me: eleven ways to use music under the music licence, ten ALCC copyright factsheets, nine steps for creating a copyright compliant Christmas card, eight times you don’t need to ask permission to use copyright material, seven steps to protect work that I have createdsix submissions to the Productivity Commission Review of Intellectual Property, five new information sheets from the Australian Copyright Council (ACC), four steps for using Readings Online self servicethree copyright news articles,  two quick and easy ways to get my subject readings ready for 2017 and 1 copyright compliant video on Youtube.

The University has a licence with the Australian music industry that allows us to use recorded music for educational and University purposes.  Here are eleven ways in which we can use recorded music under the music licence:

1. Stream music to students for educational purposes using Subsonic
  2. Make music available for students to download for educational purposes using Subsonic
  3. Create a compilation of recorded music and give to students on a CD, DVD or thumb drive (like a kind of musical course pack)
  4. Play live music in class either for educational purposes or as background music
  5. Play recorded music in class either for educational purposes or as background music
  6. Include music (either live or pre-recorded) played in class as part of the Lecture Capture recordings for students
  7. Perform recorded music at a University event.  The music can be either for background music or a key part of the event (e.g. a concert).
  8. Perform live music at a University event.  The music can be either for background music or a key part of the event (e.g. a concert).
  9. Make an audio or video recording of music performed at a University event.
  10. Give a copy of the recording of the event to students or make available online only to staff and students
  11. Play recorded or live music in the office for staff or at a staff event such as the University Services Christmas party

See our Music Licence webpage for more information about using music under the Music Licence.

Finally, since this a music theme post, I will conclude with my 12 Days of Copyright Christmas tradition of sharing my personal favourite Christmas song, Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas is You.