New Public Domain Images available for download

The Barnes Foundation has made available 1500 public domain images from it’s collection for free download.  The images are in the public domain meaning that they can be used for other purposes without having to seek permission.  Works include paintings by impressionist, post-impressionist, and early modern masters like Giorgio de Chirico, Henri Rousseau, Vincent Van Gogh, and Auguste Renoir.

The images are all gorgeous so I indulged myself and picked a few of my favourites to share with you.  I really like Renoir as an artist – his use of colours is so fantastic.  There were so many different Renoir paintings to choose from but I finally settled on this particular one – The Artist’s Family because the children were so adorable.

The collection also includes photographs of furniture and sculptures and other items in the collection such as this box by an identified maker made out of walnut with tulips on it.

Not all the images available on the website are in the public domain but there is also information about licensing these images if you would like to use them.

Details of the Barnes Foundation copyright and open access policy is available on their website.

You can browse the collection at https://www.barnesfoundation.org .  Leave us comment below and let us know which is your favourite image.

Finally I couldn’t resist include this painting by an unknown artist of Flower Piece in Glass Vase

Image at top of page – Sign for a Locksmith  All images courtesy of the Barnes Foundation, Merion and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania