Open Access Week Event – Paywall: The Business of Scholarship Oct 26
A quick promotion for our upcoming Open Access Week event: a screening of the new documentary film, Paywall: The Business of Scholarship, followed by a panel discussion about the film and the future of academic publishing.
A little bit about the film:
- Featuring interviews with representatives from The Royal Society, Springer Nature, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Wikipedia, Creative Commons, Sci-Hub and researchers from around the world, Paywall: The Business of Scholarship questions the rationale behind the $25.2 billion a year for-profit academic publishing industry and demonstrates a clear need for increased access to research and knowledge. You can learn more about the film here if you’re interested.
The panel (confirmed so far) includes…
- Professor Ginny Barbour, Director of the Australasian Open Access Strategy Group (AOASG)
- Associate Professor Fiona Fidler, ARC Future Fellow, Ambassador for the Centre for Open Science (COS), and University of Melbourne researcher working in the areas of reproducibility, transparency and open science
- Sarah Blatchford, Regional Director, Routledge/Taylor and Francis, and member of Board of Directors, Council for Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS)
The important details:
- Time: Friday, 26th October, 1-3pm
- Location: Singapore Theatre, Melbourne School of Design
- Bookings: via Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/paywall-the-business-of-scholarship-open-access-week-2018-tickets-50380546571
- Audience: All staff, students and wider members of the community are welcome. The film is accessible and intended for a general audience—no specialised knowledge about Open Access is needed to engage with the concepts presented.
- Catering: popcorn and choc-tops will be served