Partner Newsletter 2017 February
Dear Creative Convergence Partners,
Welcome to 2017 and to the real beginnings of the Creative Convergence – ARC Linkage project research project.
The research team intends to offer you all a monthly update on the project and this is our first communication for 2017.
Creative Convergence aims and objectives can be thought of in three main ways:
- Convergence in Person: using interactive workshops to explain how young people are affected by theatre and what impact this have over time
- Convergence of Media: conceptualise and implement a transmedia strategy to sustain and enhance the effects of regional live events over time
- Organizational Convergence: create a durable and sustainable network of reflective theatre practitioners and other stakeholders with young people across Victoria.
With these aims in mind, what has been happening? Dr Megan (Meg) Upton has been officially appointed to the role of Research Assistant on the project. Meg is currently located at the University of Melbourne in the new Arts West Building, Floor 3, Digital Chamber, three days per week. Her email is email@example.com. At present her contact phone is 0411 692 424.
Introducing PHD student Abbie Trott. Joining the research team as of the 20th February, Abbie hails from Queensland. Here’s a bit about her. Abbie has worked as a stage and production manager for over 20 years with companies including version 1.0, Vulcana Women’s Circus, Belvoir St Theatre and Kooemba Jdarra Performing Arts Company. Completing a Masters of Philosophy at the University of Queensland in 2016, Abbie’s scholarly interests include theatre, performance and multimedia.
Late last year the research team began working with several partners, beginning the process of identifying potential projects across four years. These early steps included:
- Visiting Arena Theatre Company to observe their digital work in East Gippsland with a partner school
- Visiting HotHouse Theatre in Wodonga to discuss the development of an evaluation project for 2017 and a performance based project for 2018
- Working with Melbourne Theatre Company as they began the development process of a new work for young audiences, Melbourne Talam
- Discussions with Arthur re regional workshop plans for their 2016 production ‘Bright World’.
Since late 2016, there have been one or two changes of personnel within some partner organisations. As such once new personnel are all confirmed we will send you an acceptance of change document that all partners need to sign.
Next steps? We will be contacting all our partners individually within the next few weeks to set up face to face or skype conferences. Further plans include:
- The establishment of a project website to house project information for partners
- The project team aims to present aspects of the project at the Australian Theatre Forum in Adelaide in early October.
- SAVE THE DATE – Partner event – Wednesday 26 April, 3.00pm – 5.30pm at the University. More details to follow
We look forward to working with you over the next few years. Please don’t hesitate to contact Meg if you have any questions.
Professor Rachel Fensham
On behalf of the research team