Postgraduate Students and Academic Visitors

Current Postgraduate Students

Maharti Triharta

About me: I am Maharti, and I am a PhD candidate of the FEIT (Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology) and MSEI (Melbourne Social Equity Institute), under the supervision of Prof Elaine Wong, Prof Sally Male, and Dr Victor Sojo. I have quite a diverse background prior to the PhD candidature. I completed Master of Environmental Engineering at University of Melbourne in 2019. And I have been tutoring in the university for the subjects of Solid Waste to Sustainable Resources, and Energy Efficiency Technology under Department of Infrastructure Engineering. Prior to joining University of Melbourne, I was a professional engineer in Oil and Gas industry and had worked as an expatriate around the world for 10 years. I graduated with Double Degree in Petroleum Engineering and Finance from University of Western Australia in 2007, started my career as field engineer in well testing of upstream oil and gas industry, and subsequently promoted to line management. I have extensive experiences as female in male dominated workforce, and I observed that the longevity of female engineers’ career is behind compared to the male counterpart.  That is what brought me to my current graduate research – “Investigation of sustainable female engineers’ career development – mitigating impacts of gender biological reproductive inequities”.  Through this research, I wish to promote the longevity and sustainability of female engineers’ career development.

I am passionate about sustainability. I learnt and delved this concept throughout my Master of Environmental Engineering, and this concept can be applied to other aspects of life. In leisure time, I love pilates and yoga, as well as trekking and enjoying the nature around the world (when condition permits).

Muhammad Omer Bashir

About me: I am currently pursuing my Doctoral degree under Faculty of Engineering at the University of Melbourne under the supervision of Professor Elaine Wong and Professor Christina Lim. I received my B.Eng. degree from the University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan in 2008 and a master’s in engineering from University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma, USA in 2016. I was awarded the prestigious US Fulbright scholarship to study in USA from 2014 to 2016. I have 12 years of International experience working for the Resources and Oil industry. Much of my work is around making the world a better a place of live using the Artificial Intelligence. My inspiration is the epic advancement in the artificial intelligence and the role it can play in driving the efficiencies that have not been achieved so far. My main research interests include Artificial Intelligence, Time Series Forecasting and IoT Sensing.

Igor Kardush (ikardush[at]student[dot]unimelb[dot]edu[dot]au)

About me: I am currently pursuing a Doctoral degree in the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology at the University of Melbourne under supervision of Professor Elaine Wong and Dr Sejeong Kim. I received my B.Eng. degree from the Federal University of Technology of Paraná, Brazil, in 2005, and a post-degree in Telecommunications and Network Engineering from the National Institute of Telecommunications, Brazil, in 2009. I have had 13 years of experience in the ICT industry solving problems and bringing solutions focused on company and customer needs. Having seen the recent evolution of communications, I am inspired by my experience in corporate innovation to surpass the edge of the knowledge in applications for the next generation of network.

Former Post-graduate Students

Tingting Song (tingtings1[at]student[dot]unimelb[dot]edu[dot]au, hit[dot]tingtingsong[at]gmail.com)

Co-supervised by Prof. Nirmalathas, Prof. Christina Lim, and Dr. Ke Wang

A brief biography: Tingting Song received the B.Eng. degree and M.Phil degree from Northeastern University, China, in 2010 and 2012, respectively. She has published over 18 conference and journal papers. She is a reviewer for various journals, including the Journal of Lightwave Technology, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, IEEE Photonics Journal, etc. She was the recipient of the 2020 IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Scholarship. Her research interests include optical wireless communications, signal processing technologies, and fiber-optic sensing technologies.

Current engagements: Tingting Song is currently working towards the Ph.D. degree at the Melbourne School of Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Australia, under the supervision of Prof. Ampalavanapillai Nirmalathas, Prof. Christina Lim, Prof. Elaine Wong, and Dr. Ke Wang.

Lihua RUAN (ruanlihua[at]cuhk[dot]edu[dot]cn; lihua.ruan13[at]gmail[dot]com)

https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=QtselIYAAAAJ&hl=en

About me:  I am Lihua, coming from Henan Province, China.  Prof. Elaine Wong supervised my PhD research during 2015-2019 at EEE, the University of Melbourne (UoM).  In my PhD period, our group under Elaine’ lead was enthusiastically working on advancing networking technologies and the innovative use of AI for the next-generation remote human-to-machine and tactile-haptic communications.   Having a supervisor who offers her best to support learning and the growth of her students,  I was able to delve freely into the areas of smart body area networks, fiber-wireless networks and machine learning with a great sense of purpose, and had a very meaningful chance to conduct haptic teleoperation experiments in robotic hands!

Research at UoM planted in me a long-lasting willingness to explore the unknown. After graduation, I joined the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shen Zhen (CUHK SZ) as a postdoc fellow in 2020.  My current research centres on crowd intelligence and robots in networks.  Outside the research, I love travelling, refreshing myself in the diverse natural landscapes and cultural experiences.  I am also fond of reading, with a special preference to autobiography/biography, psychology, and epistemology.

Ye Feng (yfen444[at]gmail[dot]com, yef1[at]student[dot]unimelb[dot]edu[dot]au)

About myself: My name is Ye Feng and I am a PhD graduate in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, the University of Melbourne with Professor Elaine Wong and Professor Thas (Ampalavanapillai) Nirmalathas being my supervisors. My research is focused on shortening latency of wireless communication technologies such as WiFi, LTE and 5G with enhanced MAC layer protocol designs. I applied mathematical and computation skills such as queueing theory, machine learning, sensitivity analysis, network simulation when I was pursuing my PhD degree. I obtained BEng with first-class honours in Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering from Monash University in 2015.

Current Engagement: At present, I am working as a contracted technical trainee in Telstra research team to develop IoT devices for data collection and analysis in specific use cases. I am actively looking for a research position related to network technologies and machine intelligence in academia or industry. In my leisure time, I enjoy basketball, badminton, fitness exercises and hiking. I also love watching movies, listening to songs and building gunpla. I have developed a strong interest in exploring restaurants in Melbourne and I would like to invite friends to well-recognised ones.

Sourav Mondal (smondal[at]student[dot]unimelb[dot]edu[dot]au, souravmondal003[at]gmail[dot]com)

https://sites.google.com/view/smondal003/

About Myself: My name is Sourav Mondal and I am a PhD student in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, the University of Melbourne with the supervision of Professor Elaine Wong. The primary focus of my research is the strategic deployment of artificial intelligence-enhanced cloudlets for low-latency human-to-machine applications which involve several inter-disciplinary areas like communication systems and networks, cloud and edge computing, mathematical optimization and game theory, machine learning and reinforcement learning, to name a few. Before joining the PhD program, I received my B.Tech from Kalyani Govt. Engineering College and the M.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 2012 and 2014, respectively. I have also worked in Qualcomm India as a Software Engineer in the LTE Layer-3 Femtocell Modem Software Development team from 2014 to 2016.

Current Engagements:  I am a current EDGE – Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellow working on Edge Intelligence Network Slicing at the Trinity College Dublin, Ireland. Other than academic research, I am deeply enthusiastic about cricket, swimming, fitness activities, yoga, meditation and spiritual seeking. I take great interest in world history, mythology, ancient arts, economics and human psychology. In my leisure times, I love to watch movies and read books on thrillers and detective stories. I am always a food-enthusiastic person who likes to explore foods from different parts of the world. After relocating to Melbourne for my PhD degree, I have developed a recent interest in cooking and explore various recipes and cooking techniques. Also, I am very much keen to travel to new places, if I have a good company.

Ishita Akhter (tritha.net, mail[dot]tritha[dot]net, akhteri[at]unimelb[dot]edu[dot]au)

About Myself: I am currently a PhD candidate in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne. My research has been focusing on optimising the designs of urban area wireless small−cell networks (SCN) and corresponding Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON) backhauls. The research involved small-cell wireless network planning for both 4G, 5G and other cellular network types, conserving necessary constraints such as maximum signal loss level, spectrum refarming, maximal coverage of population and so on. In addition, it emphasized on implementing high-capacity and efficiently optimised backhaul networks for such planned small-cell networks, while leveraging existing optical network resources. I have previously completed my Bachelor of Science in Information and Communications Engineering from East West University in Dhaka, Bangladesh in 2010; and Master of Telecommunication Engineering from La Trobe University in Victoria, Australia in 2011. I have previously worked as an IT executive in Bangladesh, as a Student Learning Advisor at La Trobe University and as a Research Assistant in the Department of Architecture at the University of Melbourne.

Current Engagements: Presently, I am awaiting examination results for my recently submitted PhD thesis. In addition, I am the Leading tutor in Computing and Engineering at Ormond College of the University of Melbourne. I am keen to pursue further research work in a suitable post-doctoral position. I have also been serving as sessional teaching staff in the Melbourne School of Engineering since 2013. I am a dedicated academic who shares a passion for quality teaching and has completed multiple teaching qualifications from Melbourne University. Besides academia, I am a pigeon fancier, and also have keen interests in aviation investigation, reading, cultural activities and socializing.

Dr. Thananji Shanmuganathan, 2020 (now with University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka ) – co-supervised with Thas Nirmalathas and Chien Aun Chan

Dr. Tian Liang, 2019 (now with FPA Patent Attorneys) – co-supervised with Thas Nirmalathas and Christina Lim

Mr. William Lim, 2018 (now with ) – co-supervised with Marimuthu Palaniswami and Aravinda Rao

Dr. Maluge P.I. Dias, 2016 (now with Deakin University, Australia).

Dr. Sandu Abeywickrama (now with atisfy).

Dr. Chathurika Ranaweera, 2014 (now with Deakin University, Australia) – co-supervised with Thas Nirmalathas and Christina Lim

Dr. Chamil Jayasundara, 2013 (now with Coles Australia) – co-supervised with Thas Nirmalathas

Dr. Nishaanthan Naradarajah, 2011(now with Acacia Communications) – co-supervised with Thas Nirmalathas

Past Academic Visitors

Prof. Werner Hofmann (Technical University Berlin, Germany)

Dr. Yejun Liu (Chongqing University of Posts and Telecommunications)

Dr. Yunxin Lv (University of Electronic Science and Technology of China)

Dr. Michael Mueller (Technical University Munich, Germany)

Prof. Lilin Yi (Shanghai Jiaotong University)

Associate Professor Luca Valcarenghi (Scuola Superiori Sant’Anna, Pisa, Italy)

Dr. Dung Pham Van (Scuola Superiori Sant’Anna, Pisa, Italy)