About me (Lam)

Hello, everyone!

Let’s keep this short because I know very few of you will actually see the end of a long entry.

My name is Lam, first year in Science. I came here about four years ago, went to Reservoir Secondary, obtained 99.55 for my ENTER and was frequently called a “freak” by my friends – well, not any more as they discovered Melbourne University houses even more freakish people. I personally have seen a few.

I like Melbourne University more and more each day – particularly today when I find the Student Portal, the all-in-one stop for everything uni-related, notably including Webmail, LMS and various other features. Just love it! (the interface needs some work, though)

Well, that’s pretty much about myself.

Usually, people can read about me in my Profile, but I was specifically asked to write this entry (convention says that I should introduce myself first).

Have a good day, people.

Au revoir.

*Bow*

5 thoughts on “About me (Lam)

1. “Exodius”, hmm? I’m amused, we have an undercover blogger! 😀

Portal kind of freaks me out a bit. It’s new this year. 🙂

2. Lam:

If a high ENTER is a sign of “freakishness”, take heart in knowing that 0.45% of last year’s cohort were freakier than you. Aren’t percentile rankings fun?

Tangentially related: There was a public debate in the Anthropology school last Friday (topic: “Islam, Europe, and the West”, yes, cringe), and one of the speakers was the chief cleric of Bosnia and Herzegovina. One of the first things he mentioned was the University of Melbourne’s reputation for only taking students who “must be in the top 5%”. It was said in good humour, but it still rankled a little. I’d kind of prefer that the University have a reputation for putting out excellent graduates, not for taking in the highest-achieving students.

That, by the way, was only one of a number of slightly surreal moments at the debate, but perhaps I’ll put that in a blog entry another time. I should probably stop procrastinating now and get back to conjugating verbs and declining nouns.

Quentin:

I’m inclined to agree with you about the Portal. I have my Uni email going into Thunderbird with the rest of my email, so it’s faster for me to access the LMS, Webraft, and the Library records directly rather than through the Portal.

—Michael

3. Michael:

I have my uni email forwarded to my Gmail. Since I have both central and CSSE addresses, and in first year I also had an ECR account, I find it far easier that way. Gmail catches the spam, too. 😀

The Library catalogue is nice and fast; what do you think of the LMS?

4. Wow…nice ENTER. I never know whether to talk about ENTER scores, cause some people are touchy about it, and others just think it’s all in the past. But congratulations on yours.

Yes, I have the 11-12 Biol lecutre on Mondays and Fridays. Somehow it seemed more interesting to me today, even though we’re still covering stuff I learnt in year 10. Maybe I’m just getting used to it.

What are Science subjects are you taking?

5. Zoe:

Thank you.

The ENTER is just a number to me, which is why I refer to it as just a fact in the past. I understand some people don’t really like talking about it (have a few mates like that).

I’m taking Biology, Maths, Physics and Chem (the latter three are 121s). What about you?