A Week Off (Gianina)

Pardon my absence here of late in the blog. I actually started a post a week and a half ago, but I never got to actually publishing the saved copy. You see, I was in the hospital for a week – which is really bad timing as there was just 3 weeks to go before swot vac (I was admitted to said institution by the end of week 9 of the uni calendar). So now, after just a couple of days of being in the ‘outside world’ again, I’m already busy with putting my uni stuff on track – which means contacting tutors/subject coordinators and classmates, applying for extensions/special consideration, finishing projects that were supposedly due last week, and worrying about stuff that I should be preparing for this week. I’m basically buying myself another ticket to the hospital again. *Sigh* One of my subject coordinators actually suggested that I apply for special consideration for the subject itself, rather than just for individual assessments. This way, my marks might be adjusted. I haven’t really considered doing that before, but I might have to, considering that I have to go back to hospital a few times this next few days for more tests and to see more specialists.

Anyways, over the last week, I’ve discovered how considerate people could be. Once I realised that I’ll be ‘out-of-action’ for a while, I was scared of contacting people to cancel/postpone a lot of things – 5 shifts at work (the store I work in is a bit understaffed, so I felt really guilty about cancelling), volunteer tutoring, my assessment deadlines, my driving lesson and the first year summit. The nurse in my ward actually even let me use the internet in the nurse desk so I could email my tutors (yep, I know, I’m so neurotic that I still think of uni even when there’s an IV needle stuck in my arm). Many of the people I contacted were  just so understanding – they were quite incredulous when I said I was calling/emailing them from the hospital and they insisted that I have better things to think about. It was quite touching really, especially because of the fact that I was expecting to be sacked from work, get blacklisted from volunteering in uni and outside, and basically fail at least 2 of my subjects. I’ve never really quite fully realised how much of a worry-freak I am until last week. Oh well. It’s week 11 already tomorrow, and the start of re-enrolment to boot. I can’t believe how fast time passes (sorry for the cliche). I just hope I’ll remember to enjoy these last few weeks as a freshman in uni instead of endlessly worrying about trivial/mundane matters.

Keep dreaming large people 🙂