Why isn't Monday a holiday? (Ankita)

So I am the late one. One week of Uni., two of College I think and its going pretty well. I am still waiting to get into a proper routine… I guess that’ll probably happen next week once all the tutorials, practicals everything starts. Coming to Oz from a completely different country has been a bit intimidating.  Writing on this blog is also intimidating cause its all so frikking new. Everything around me is new but I think I am holding up pretty well…Yes, I am not homesick. College does that to you. I still can’t really call College home… Home for me will always be where my family is. Ok, enough of the emotional stuff. So some interesting things that happened to me at Uni (Week1):

1.      Got lost: Admit it guys. Even with the damn map.

2.      Went for tutorials that actually start next week.

3.      Thought the tutorials were relocated, so went on a rampant search for first the Arts student Centre and then The Social and Political Science Student Centre, only to be affirmed pt. 2.

4.      Met too many people and didn’t see them again. (Host group program)

5.      Realised that all the brown people on campus are (mostly) not Indians but Sri Lankans. How does that happen guys? We (Indians) are the second largest population in the world and I still haven’t met a single Indian fresher, apart from myself I guess… How do they outnumber us? (this is not a racist comment or anything just a fact)

6.      Edited my timetable several times.

7.      Was still unsatisfied cause most lectures, tutes, pracs were overfull and I wasn’t allotted my desired ( word choice?) time.

8.      Yet chose to go for lectures I was not allotted (time convenience)

9.      Joined  random clubs and societies.

10.  Went for the Environment’s club meeting which was pretty good.

11.  Ate rubbish food at the Union House. (Sorry guys… But I really haven’t liked anything I have eaten at the Union House)

12.  Bought the Uni jumper… Which is soo good… Its super-warm!

13.  Haven’t done any readings yet (due for next week tutorials…)

And the list goes on…

In other things…

A.      Electricity:  I just fail to understand why lights need to be left switched on in empty rooms/classrooms…so a whole bunch of my lectures are at the Copland Theatre so I was walking outside… And the lights in the Student Workshops which are outside on the way to Copland were on with no sign of life inside in them. It was really pissing off. I don’t really know what I am supposed to be doing in such a situation… Can I enter the room and turn the light off? Am I allowed to do that? I mean if it was high school yea… That is what I would do… But its Uni now and I don’t know how things work around here. Anyway… I just wish everyone was a bit more responsible and turned off lights when not needed.

B.      Blocking the exits: A clear lack of commonsense. So I’ve noticed this both at the Carillo Ganter and the Copland theatre… Overly-enthusiastic students block the exits of the lecture theatre (individually or in groups) allowing the students leaving the theatre only to move out in a single file with baby steps. Therefore slowing down the whole process and the lecture starting late.  Guys if you’re doing this blocking thing (in your ignorance or whatever) please don’t its really annoying.

So thats about it. I would have had more things to write about if I started earlier this week… But since I didn’t this is all for now…

Merci bcp.   

4 thoughts on “Why isn't Monday a holiday? (Ankita)

1. 4. Yeh it’s pretty hard considering everyone’s doing different things at different places at different times. Ughhh.

A. I’d be tempted to just go in and switch off those damn lights. But first I’ll have to whip out my map and find the nearest entrance to the building in question and… I’ll see next time I walk past a room with lights left on and no-one inside =P

B. Hmm reminds me of getting on trains. Maybe we all think there’s a fourth dimension people can move through, instead of the usual three.

2. ‘Overly-enthusiastic students block the exits of the lecture theatre (individually or in groups) allowing the students leaving the theatre only to move out in a single file with baby steps’

It can’t last more than a week or so, can it? Presumably the novelty of actually attending lectures will wear off pretty soon, and the number of students shuffling their notes outside the Carrillo-Gantner will dissipate…fingers crossed…

3. 1. I’m admitting it. But then, I get lost going to my room in a straight hallway (no joke – I always walk in the wrong direction).

4. OR met them again and had no idea what their names were… embarrassing.

7. Overfull… could there be any other word as annoying as overfull?

A. A lot of the fluorescent expend more energy when they are turned on than they do running (apparently). But I wouldn’t switch off the lights, because a lot of lecturers aren’t familiar with the rooms and it could be annoying for them (though fairly humorous for us).

B. OMG. SO agreeing with you on this one. I need a taser or something because the slow-walkers/ exit-blockers are getting me down.

4. I’ve always managed to find an alternative entry/exit point going in or out of lectures.

My favourite sneak (not necessarily getting out of a lecture) is when you can dive down into an aisle (when you’re late to a lecture) to slip in-between two otherwise apathetic classmates. They usually jump!

Besides that yelling out “MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY!” in a pseudo 17th century watchman voice does the job…. usually.