So when does O-week actually start becoming fun?

Right. O-week. I have a bone to pick with you. Your shiny brochures and pathetic word-of-mouth set me up to believe this week was going to be a fun-filled, alcohol-fuelled, friendship-making riot. I look around me. I SEE NO RIOT!

I have spent this week in a daze. I’ve been lonely and lost (both physically and metaphorically). Yeah, I did the whole walking around Union Lawn talking to the scary people in the white coats…sorry, tents. Sure, I finally worked out how to configue my laptop to UniWireless (after 2 hours and three different IT places because my #^*&!@% computer was being painful). Yes, I’ve consumed many a snag, drunk many a free drink, discovered most parts of the Uni and yes, I am getting used to it. Here’s the catch: I AM NOT HAVING FUN.

Moving to Melbourne has been really hard and stressful. I moved last weekend, into a house in Carlton rented to me through the SHAP program. I have a wonderful housemate and another one on the way in a few days (God, it sounds like I’m having a baby!). My house is beautiful and I’m loving the freedom.  I didn’t think that I was missing home all that much, but I’ve found it’s the little things I’m missing. EXAMPLE: I always watch Spicks and Specks and Hungry Beast with my mum on Wednesday night (as a sidenote, Hungry Beast is brilliant – watch it! ABC 1 9pm Wednesday nights. ABC 2 8:30pm Thursday nights). So, last night, I watched both shows with my housemate – that was really nice, but it wasn’t like having my mum there on the couch beside me.

I also miss having friends around who know me. The real me. Not the “first week of Uni” me who is trying desperately to know what I’m on about and where I’m going. My best friend is here, thank God, and she has been my security blanket. I really want to meet new people, but of all the people I have met so far, I haven’t clicked with any of them. I hope this will change in the first week of classes, as I start to get a bit of a rhythm going.

So, tomorrow, I am going to take a day for me. I am going to unpack properly and get my room in order (finally!), to try and get a feeling of control back. I am going to stay in my pyjamas, eat chocolate, surf the net, not go to Uni and just be me for a day. 

Is anyone else feeling a bit…I don’t know…blah? Or is it just me?

I remain, humbly yours,

Laura

PS: We bloggers should meet for a coffee at some stage. I’m a thinker.

12 thoughts on “So when does O-week actually start becoming fun?

1. I had wondered what non-college-kids were thinking of O-week, as it seems like all the fun stuff is at residences. I actually agree that the campus events have been a major underwhelm.
    Let’s all have a cheery whinge about it over hot chocolates or something! Soon!

2. Indeedy, O-Week is a bit rubbish. It does seem like we were promised fireworks and magic, but noooo. Seems like you have to be living in at college to enjoy yourself. :/

3. i guess it wouldn’t be the same to watch ur fav movie with a new friend instead of ur family. but hopefully we’ll get used to it :’)
    for me it’s weird because i haven’t been this homesick two years ago when i first came to Australia. maybe back then in high school i didn’t have to worry so much about all the little things like all the bills and transportation etc. and the cohort is smaller in number and easier to get to know to as well.
    so now we’ve been thrown out to the big wide world [not just yet], and try very hard to preserve the “me” yea? :’)
    u know, me too. it’s been hard for me just to dress what i want [even thou it isnt so much the uni dressing style] and be confident no matter what.
    but i really hope that you would find yourself soon enough
    thanks for ur post :’) i get to know that i’m not the only one who has “been lonely and lost (both physically and metaphorically)”

4. Although I do live at a residential college, I was still expecting the uni to put on a great O-Week to match, but what I (and what we all) found was just a major let down. Although I did make a few friends thanks to the host group, it was merely due to the fact that they were friends of my brother whom I hadn’t met yet…

I also agree with you about the coffee meeting for us bloggers!

5. Agrees with coffee.
    It seems like all the good stuff is going on at the residential colleges. My friend at Trinity doesn’t seem to have any lack of things to do or liver-killing good times. Comparatively the Uniweek is a bit sparse.

6. While o-week may come across as quite dull and boring, you do pick up on some useful information and familiarise yourself with the campus, eg) Have you guys learnt how to use the library search systems yet – it may sound stupid but go in now and have a go before you start getting assignments, while you’re there also get to know Endnote. DO ITTT!
    Have you all made at least a few friends from your host groups? i know that’s what i did last year – just leach onto anybody remotely interesting! You don’t have to be BFFs for life, but for the first few weeks while you’re still finding your way around it’s nice to have someone to eat lunch with 🙂 Once you get in the routine of lectures and tutes (where I’m sure you’ll make friends) Melbourne is pretty cool – there are always BBQs and games going on, or contests like sculling cups of tea (which has funny but disastrous consequences!). Hang in there guys – o-week may not be as fun as it’s hyped up to be – but by about week 4 you’re going to be in sync with the uni and everything’s going to be good 🙂
    PS: What subjects are you guys taking?
    PPS: Have fun with your IDFs – hahahhaha (you’ll understand my laughter by about the third lecture).

7. Yes! Hungry Beast is awesome. I caught on at the end of last year, and hopefully will stick to it this year.

Considering the number of replies many people must agree with you, and I am joining in. I went home on thursday, sat down and realised how much I missed having my friends around. </3

8. Ah yes, the coffee meetup. I suspect it is a little premature but does anyone have a favourite coffee place on campus yet?