The Little Bumps Along the Way. (Candy)

Okay, remember how in my previous post I was all “I need to get on top of the concept of time, blah blah blah”?

You have all just become witnesses to my tendency to defy accountability…because I still have not completed the aforementioned task, of time-concept-mastery. But I have a plan.

This week, I will commit to writing a blog post each and every night, detailing the day’s events, sharing my thoughts and opinions…you get the drift.

Because as far as I see it, this will force me to actually think about looking at timeframes, my responsibilities, etc. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll get some things done that actually NEED DOING.

So with that said, I’ll just give a little re-cap of Week 2. Like Week 1, Week 2 ended with a bit of a revelation. The first week I asked myself, “What am I DOING here?!”…and on the Friday that just passed, my profound question was: “Am I in the WRONG course?!”

Let me explain.

I’m taking Principles of Marketing as my breadth subject for this semester. While writing has always been my main passion, and journalism has always been my career of choice, I have also always been interested in businesses, commerce and really, when it comes down to it, just MONEY in general. So I was sitting in a two-hour Marketing lecture Friday afternoon, and the unexpected thought just hit me like a brick.

Oh my God. I think I’m in the wrong course.

Am I really meant to be in Arts? Do I really enjoy spending each and every day analysing texts and studying the theories of other people who like going off about books/plays/democracy/whatever subjects it is that I’m studying?

I just felt like perhaps I’d made a teeny-weeny mistake. Then I wondered, do I REALLY want to become a journalist? Or is it just a matter of me embedding that career in my mind as my ONLY option? Was I answering the question of ‘what do you want to be when you grow up’ out of passion, or simply habit?

Writing is a passion of mine, there’s no doubt about that. But I guess it just occurred to me that perhaps I should be studying something a bit more solid, like Commerce, and working on creative pursuits on the side. I did a bit of research and a lot of people say that it’s not really so much a degree that gets you into journalism, but actual experience.

At the end of the day, I couldn’t have gotten into Commerce even if I wanted to – because I dropped Maths at the end of Year 11. Honestly, my goal the whole way through was not to get into a specific course, but rather to get into Melbourne Uni, full stop. I always knew I needed to end up here at some point – even in Grade Six, I wrote “Get into Melbourne Uni” as one of my “Life Goals to Achieve.” So I was basically always thinking inside that bubble, and not really considering anything outside of that.

Now, this is where I have to come back, and justify my decision to study Arts in the end. Like I said before – I’ve always wanted to be a journalist. Writing is the one thing I have never given up on, no matter how much my efforts or abilities have infuriated me. No matter how crap I’ve felt my writing is, I always come back to it. Because it’s something I feel the need to do. Basically: it’s my passion.

That’s not what I’m questioning. I’m just questioning whether I closed off my options by undertaking an Arts degree. Which I guess in itself sounds a bit weird, but now that I’m looking at Commerce as a viable option…

…Hmmm. I know I’ve read before about what you have to do if you want to transfer from Arts to Commerce. I’ll have to read up on that again. I think at the moment though, I’ll just take this semester as it comes, and re-evaluate everything over the holidays. I’ll admit, it’s pretty silly to be so concerned after the second week, but it was something that just popped into my mind out of nowhere and gave me a bit of a jolt.

So much to think about…I guess I’ll distract myself from such thoughts by doing my subject readings. Agh.

See you tomorrow, same time, same place. 🙂

2 thoughts on “The Little Bumps Along the Way. (Candy)

1. Ooh, those nasty little thoughts *shudder* I know exactly how you feel! I hope you feel good about whatever decision you’ll be making soon 🙂

2. Thanks Silvia 🙂 After posting this, I felt insanely relaxed and go-with-the-flow-y, so we’ll just have to see…