#TGIF (Emily)

Alright fellow first years I think we can all have a collective sigh of relief. All together now – it’s finally Friday! I don’t know about you, but this first week of uni has been extremely tiring. As soon as I’m home, I’m practically lounged across my couch with the Foxtel remote in my hand ready to go. Public transport has probably been the most draining thing and I think we can all relate to getting up early and trying to catch the train/tram/bus (yes I do arrive at lectures about 30 minutes early because that’s how much I trust you Metro.)

Since tutorials start next week for all my subjects, this week consisted of mostly one hour lectures. They are so highly condensed with information, my energy stores become depleted so much so that my stomach is practically growling like a bear. My advice would be to pack a few snacks with you so that you can munch on between lecture changes. Speaking about food it’s also hard to coordinate a timetable to have lunch with friends or hang out so there will be times where you are all by your lonesome. But here’s a plus side – even though it may be a little bit out of your comfort zone, it gives you a chance to meet new people. I know it can be a little scary at first but it’s a lot better than staying in a kind of eye-contact avoiding awkward silence.

Now I thought I might help you ease into your well deserved weekend with a little jaffy experience montage. Here we go:

• So the Redmond Barry building is not the Richard Berry building.
  • The UMSU has free breakfasts at North Court, Union House. I repeat – free breakfasts (eggs, bacon, pancakes you name it.)
  • I’m seriously questioning the entire complexity of the printing process.
  • What additional readings!?
  • We don’t get the Labour Day holiday?

So week one has been a very important learning experience. I’ve learnt that uni is really based on self motivated work such as preparing for lectures, doing the ILTs before pracs and reviewing notes but I love it. Whether it be seeing the universtiy wake up when starting at 9am and saying goodnight at 6:15pm (yes those are my Tuesdays), I can’t wait for the rest of Semester.

Have a good one guys!

Emily.

2 thoughts on “#TGIF (Emily)

1. Hi Emily,

First week of semester definitely takes a toll on everyone. I just finish my first week as a third year, and I am beyond exhausted.

Talking about printing – I still have no idea how this printing business works!

Hope you enjoy your semester, and look forward to reading more about your first year adventures!

Daphane

1. Hi Daphane!

Thank you for the reassurance! I think you’ve just made us all feel just a little bit better heading into week 2.

Thanks! I look forward to writing about what I’m certain will be a great year.

Have a fantastic semester!
      🙂