Top 5 Field Guide to Surviving Uni (Johanna – Mia)

Hello everyone! Mia here.

So, since my first blog was embarrassingly short, let’s hope this one is a bit longer (and more informative). I know, I know. I said last week that I’d write about combating procrastination. But I’ve just managed to find my feet, what with juggling around studies, looking for a flat closer to university, and overall adapting to being in a new country all by myself. (insert “All by Myself” by Eric Carmen here). So. Anyway. I decided to kick off my first “legit” blog post with a little “top 5 tips on finding your feet at uni” session instead. (A.k.a. I’ve just procrastinated on my how to not procrastinate blog post.) And yes, I know there are a lot of those starting uni tips out there, but I like to think that mine has something different from the average posts. How so? Two reasons. Firstly, I am an international student whose longest stay in Australia before this was two weeks on holiday with my family, as mentioned previously. And secondly, I am a mid-year (July) intake student. Just the two very things that make starting uni life… well… you know.

It’s challenging enough to be going to uni. And then it’s even more challenging when you’re from interstate. But what really takes the cake is when you’re from a whole other country. But that’s not all. Try coming in mid-semester, when everyone else has started in March and has already settled in, when you’re just starting to find your feet. Intimidating prospects? Oh yes.

But wait! Don’t let me scare you off! Thing is, it might seem scary coming in, but it really isn’t. True, the vast majority of students have come in during semester 1, but if you’re a mid-semester entrant like me, you’re still part of the many hundreds of students coming in mid-semester. And yes, many international (and a few local) students as well. Chances are, they’re all as nervous and as new to everything as you are. (Read: something to bond over and be instant friends with on the very first day.) That’s basically my first and most important tip.

Tip 1: don’t be intimidated. You’d just end up peeing in your pants for nothing. Not that I did that, mind you, but I was pretty close. Figuratively speaking, of course, because the actual thing would be… well… yeah. Moving on.

Tip 2: attend O-week and Academic Advice Day. But if for some reason you can’t, don’t panic!

Seriously, though, if you can, go for it! Not only is it an excellent place to meet new people who are most probably new to uni too, you get bombarded (er… exposed) to lots of useful information not just about the course but also about the services provided in uni, housing and other welfare services as well. But as I said, if you can’t make it, don’t stress! Get in touch with your faculty or the admissions office, and they’d be more than happy to provide you with the vital information you would’ve missed.

Tip 3: lost on campus? Get the app. The Lost on Campus app. (pun intended. I thought that was pretty smart, myself)
Or, if you’re tech-deprived, like me, get a map. There is no shame in using maps, people! Or if you are, like me, hopeless when it comes to navigating the maze that was supposed to be a map (yes, it’s so sad. I know), ask someone for directions! So what if they think you’re a hopelessly clueless newbie who can’t be bothered to find the place yourself. Chances are, only a few jerks… er… people will think that. Most will be more than happy to point you in the right place. Some extra nice people will even walk with you there. (Yeay for humanity still having a few nice people around!) Which is also a great let’s-get-to-know-each-other-and-be-friends opportunity! Walk and talk, people. Walk and talk.

Tip 4: make friends. Don’t be shy to approach people and start a conversation.
Pretty self-explanatory. If you stick to your shell and don’t do anything, nothing’s going to happen. Friendship is a proactive process, and you need to invest in it to make it work. Don’t be shy to smile and say hi to the person sitting next to you in lectures. It shows you have confidence, and makes you come across as friendly. And if you don’t hit it off, don’t stress! As the saying goes, there are tonnes of other fish in the sea. Everybody has different personalities, and while this diversity is a good thing and should be viewed with an open mind, it will be inevitable that your personality might not fit in so well with someone else’s. So, when rejected, shrug it off. Take it as a learning experience and go say hi to the person on your other left instead. 🙂 No, really, that’s how I made all – and I do mean all – of my uni friends: by engaging in a conversation with them and then following that up by texting, chatting or asking to meet up. If I hadn’t done as I did, my only friend would be my trusty bookbag, living in a flat all by my lonesome as I am.

And finally…

Tip 5: feeling stupid? Yeah, me too.
Come on, let’s face it. We all have that one person (or group of people) in our lectures/labs/tutes who’s as smart as Albert Einstein/ Isaac Newton/ Mozart/ Stephen Hawking/ Benjamin Frankin/Pierre Auguste Renoir combined. And that leaves you feeling a bit… dumb. To put it bluntly. As though you’re the stupidest person in the world and being accepted into Melbourne Uni was a fluke and a cruel joke made by fate who just wants to laugh at you for having your hopes and dreams shattered. Trust me. You’re not the only one. It’s perfectly alright to not be able to grasp a concept in your lectures right away. Or the second time. Or the tenth, even. (I’m on my nth attempt in understanding Gauss’ Law and what I’ve managed so far is to: 1. Write down the problem. 2. Then stare at the page. 3. Cry.) There is nothing wrong with that. Failing is part of uni life- the very essence of it, even. What’s wrong, however, is giving up. So what if everyone else gets it the first time around? Your brain was probably just too preoccupied with thinking about string theory and quantum physics to focus on Gauss’ Law. (Ha! I just used highfaluting terms the meaning of which I have yet to grasp. Or look up on Wikipedia.) Anyway, my point is: don’t be disheartened. Go get help. I don’t know about the other degrees, but for the subjects I’m doing (Biology, Chemistry and Physics), they have a drop-in session where you can get tutor help. If not, don’t be afraid to send your tutor or lecturer an email and ask to meet up, or approach them after a lecture. They’re all really happy to help you grasp the subject matter – it’s what they’re here for, after all. And it’s what you’re here for, as well: to learn, and not feel sorry about yourself. (insert comical face – preferably Homer Simpson’s with “duh” captioned in big bold letters.)

So there you have it, my top 5 field guide to surviving the jungle known as uni. Best of luck.

Over and out.

P.S. I’ve just completed my mid-semester tests. Well. My eye bags are officially big enough to be used as actual bags. I will never procrastinate again. (She said whilst procrastinating.) I just hope I managed to do well enough. Wish me luck, guys. OaO (Over and Out.)

One thought on “Top 5 Field Guide to Surviving Uni (Johanna – Mia)

1. Haha! It’s week 8 (7? 9?) and I STILL use the lost on campus app! Totally helpful especially when I need to make a quick trip to the bathroom and I’m in the middle of who-knows-where (aka Richard Berry building).