Feeling stressed? Here's some handy helping hints (Phoebe)

So it’s been a while since my last post and there are two main reasons for that: 1. I have had TWO major essays due this week, both were incredibly draining and time consuming and 2. I have actually been quite sick this week. As a result, my stress levels have been running high. And I’m sure I’m not the only one feeling the heat. Mid-semester break (which isn’t actually occurring in the middle of the semester???) is next week and boy are we ready. So based on my own stress levels rocketing, I thought it might be time to share some tips on what I do to relax and how to relax when you’re strapped for time.

1.)    Keep Hydrated

Water is important, it’s a fact. So make sure you keep up the water intake. However, sometimes water can seem a bit boring. I drink lots of tea (English breakfast is a favourite) when I’m studying and drink more herbal teas, like green and ‘sleepy’ teas at night to help me feel more relaxed before I go to bed. It may be a placebo but I think it helps me get a better night’s rest.

2.)    Exercise

Again, another well-known theory that exercise and physical activity is good for releasing stress hormones. On weekends, and especially on weekends when I know I have a heavy study load, I try to fit in either a walk or a jog (from as short as 15 mins) on either or both days. I tend to exercise before I start studying or when I get one of those pesky mind blocks.

3.)    Reading

Reading has always been a passion of mine, but I know that being a Bachelor of Arts student, we get a lot of readings for our classes which can sometimes feel stressful and overwhelming. This is why I try and always have a book to read because it makes reading more enjoyable again. Also, reading at night before I go to sleep helps me relax and fall asleep.

4.)    Socialising

I try and keep a balance between my work/study life and social life. I live at home with my mum, dad, younger brother and sister (who are twins i.e. double trouble!!) but we aren’t always home together at the same time. However, I think it’s important to always make time to catch up with them. Also, just going out for coffee with a good friend for an hour or so, or going to the movies can give you a study break and the relaxation you need.

5.)    Rewards

I always try and reward myself for my good study behaviour, completing a task or submitting an assignment. Sometimes the reward is as simple as a delicious choc-chip biscuit or going out for dinner with a good friend. Having the light at the end of the tunnel makes me more motivated and being able to focus on the reward takes a little of the stress out of the task.

All of these things won’t take up all your time or energy, allowing you to still complete your tasks, whatever they may be. These are just some things that work for me, but we are all different, working and relaxing in different ways. You just need to find out what works for you, and use it. Being stressed never helps. If you’re really struggling, or feeling more overwhelmed than usual, speak to someone. There is always someone to help and you are never ever alone.

In the meantime, enjoy the well-deserved mid-semester break everyone!

Phoebe