A Day in a Musician's Life Part 4 – Nicole

OH MY GOD, IT’S FINALLY THURSDAY!
Usually, Thursdays are my Fridays pretty much. Why? Well, I have a day off tomorrow. Woohoo!
But! That doesn’t mean I get to sleep in tomorrow. Nah uh. Tomorrow, I go to uni to practise, and study/catch up with my other mates at uni, which is super awesome!

THURSDAYS

6AM – WAKE UP!
“What time did we even stay up to finish ML?”
“11:30PM.”
“Well, that was fun right?”
“HAHAHAHAHAHAA. No. WE HAVEN’T FINISHED IT!”
“OH…. buggar.”
*Spooky voice* “MLLL. DO YOUR MLLL!”
“Shush you. I will, and we’ll finish it together. Then after we finish our ML assignment, we’ll have a cookie as a reward.”
“OH MY GODD COOKKIES!”

*Does usual routine in the morning*

6:40AM – Leaves House

“MLLL. Don’t forget to do your ML!”
“SHUSH YOUU! Jeez! We’ll do it when we get to uni.”

6:51AM – Express train to flinders

“Hello usual train, you’re one comfy train. You’ll always be, and my only usual train that I will go on. Mmmm… New modern trains”

*Sleeps on train*
I caught up on sleep on the train. I managed to get up to 7 hours in total on the train, and I’ll continue to nap when I get on the tram.

7:30AM – Reach at Flinders
“TRAMM! WAIT FOR MEE!”
*Gets on tram and takes a nap again*

8AM till 10AM
Practise time!

Usually, I focus on my studies in this two hour practise. But today, oh you predicted it! I was doing ML for half an hour, and I managed to finish it! I never felt so proud of myself when I handed that assignment in that box. However, I have a feeling I have hidden fifths or octaves in my composition assignment. Oh well.

Before I handed my assignment in I was thinking, “WHATEVER! IMMA YOLO IT, AND PUT THIS ASSIGNMENT IN THE BOX. DONEE! GOOD BYE WEEK 5 ASSIGNMENT! I HOPE I PASS!”

Yeap.

After I had that moment of handing in my ML, I was helping out a friend with ML for a little while before practising. Everybody always suffer doing their ML assignments. So, I was more than happy to help… if I understood the assignment. Hahaha. Our cohort in first year usually gets frustrated over ML or WAM assignments, and we usually say to each other, “it’s okay, we’re all in this together! We’ll get through it together. Let’s all work together!”
*Cue high school musical, all in this together song*

ANNYWAYYS! After helping my friend out on ML, I did my usual 10 to 15 minutes of warming up, and then I proceed on my Étude by Chopin, and my duo piece by Mozart.

10AM – 11AM
Mind, Brain and Behaviour 1 Lecture 3

As usual, I practised till 10AM on the dot, leaving me to power walk to SMAC (Sidney Myer Asia Centre).
You’re all probably thinking, “HAHAHA, classic Nicole.”
Well, you got to play it perfect before doing something else, right? Hahaha.
I usually do this sometimes… when I needed to, or I that I forget to leave 10 minutes before 10AM. Oops.

Today’s lecture was… a little confusing. I felt lost. My concentration was on the ball today, that I’m even surprised  that I didn’t even fall asleep this time. Maybe it’s because I had a nap on the train. Yeah. I think that does the trick. Hahaha. People were either falling asleep, or procrastinating in today’s lecture. I was also procrastinating as well; I check social media, LMS and our blog. I’ll watch it again tonight. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine!

11AM – 1PM
Concert Class

Now, this is where it gets interesting. This class always, and will be the highlight of my day; watching other musicians perform at Melba Hall. To participate in Concert Class is interesting; we either perform, or write comments on each performances. Whenever we write comments, it has to be logical, not offensive, comments. They have to be suggestions, put in a polite, positive way. There’s rules on how we should comment on each performances, and most of the rules are common sense, and self-explanatory. Mostly, we write encouraging, positive comments, because it’s polite to do that.

Performing on stage in Concert Class can be the most intimidating experience you’ll ever experience, in my perspective for the first time. You’re in a different environment, and you can see the audience clearly… this time. Ugh. Very scary! But you’ll get used to it! I remember my first time performing in a new environment, and that was in my high school’s auditorium. During my first performance, I was nervous that my legs were shaking throughout the whole piece! Then as years go by, I feel like nothing when I perform. Well, as in I don’t feel nervous at all! The audience is just a blur from the distance. Light shines at you like it’s all yours. You go out there with a smile like you own it, and you play your piece like you’re playing it for the first time – with passion and love.

Anyways, today was great! I love today’s recital! There was a harpsichord, guitarist, trumpet player, piano trio and a vocalist performing today. They were all great and wonderfully expressed! Great job guys!
We finished pretty early today (12:15pm), which was great! I went to practise afterwards for about an hour. I felt satisfied with my practise after concert class. 🙂

1PM – 2:15PM
Break time!

Usually, I relax, take a break from all the stress that accumulated when I was doing my ML assignment. During every Thursday break, I feel relieved and satisfied about my week, and I did today like always.

Today, I caught up with my friends today for lunch. We usually celebrate about finishing our ML assignment, and talk about how awesome Concert Class was. Haha.

2:15 till 3:15PM
Music Language 1 Lecture 2

As usual, each week we discuss a main topic, that is broken down into subtopics every week, or for two weeks. Today was the last day of explaining the main topic of chords and intervals?

Today’s lecture was pretty interesting! I managed to get my daily giggles from ML like always with my mates, while learning a lot of things during our Lecture. You can assume we’re the loudest, bunch during ML, just because we laugh a little tad too much. Hahahahaa. I enjoy ML lectures so much. :”)
Kudos to the lecturer for making it so interesting and entertaining. *Claps for my ML Lecturer*

3:30 till 4:30PM
Practise Time!

Quick one like always! Today, I continued working on my studies, and AMEB studies, all in an hour. My attention wanted to switch to something different. So, I was thinking, “fair enough, let’s work on some other pieces.” I reserved 10 minutes of warming up, 20 minutes of practising on Scarlatti, and then 30 minutes on AMEB Studies. Fun, fun, fun, fun!

4:30PM – HOME TIME! 

What I usually do on the train, or when I get back home?

• RELAXING.
  • A little bit of studying? If I have energy to. Hahaha
  • Reflect about my week.
  • Naping on the train back home?
  • Do Sudoku puzzle on the MX on the train.

What did I do today, after I got back home?
I went to my physio appointment for another check up. As I said, I sprained my ankle on my first week of Uni. That was fun for two weeks on crutches. Hahaha. My physio today released tension and pressure on my weak ankle, showed me how to tape my ankles and gave me a nice massage on my calve on my weak ligament. Mmm… Massages. Hahaha.

I had to ride to and from my physio, which is about 15 minutes. As usual, on the way back home at night, I turn my music on speakers up to its maximum, picked a playlist that I feel like listening/singing to. Hahaha. Tonight, it was my usual upbeat/indie rock playlist, which I love it always, as I repeat that playlist so many times. Hahaha. 🙂

After when I arrived back home, I had a nice shower, chilled out, wrote this blog post, and packed my bags for tomorrow. 🙂

BED TIME – 10:00PM, or tonight, 11:00PM. XD OOPS!

Summary?

• I love Thursdays. I don’t think I need to make any further comments 🙂
  • I’m relieved about my classes ending after Thursdays
  • Could I please have another cookie after completing that ML assignment? Pretty please?
  • Can I hug Thursdays figuratively? Thursdays always brightens up my day!

Music to chill out? To End With Me by Train Robbers

I’ll see you guys tomorrow! 🙂

2 thoughts on “A Day in a Musician's Life Part 4 – Nicole

1. Oh, I did have a great day. Thursdays is always a great day!
    Thanks Bella! 🙂
    I hope your week is going well so far!