A Day in a Musician's Life Part 6 – Nicole

Saturdays. Ahh… I always cherish every outing when my mates, whenever I get a chance to hang out in the weekend. I always have a good day whenever I have an outing, because it’s nothing to do with studying at all. I personally wish I can do this every day, but as you’d all know based on my schedule, studying/practising is my number one priority.

SATURDAYS

Usually, every Saturdays, I have a Netball match in the morning. In my club, I mostly play WD (Wing Defence), while GK (Goal Keeper) and GD (Goal Defence) is my other preferences. I think I suit mostly in WD; I’m a quick, fast, observable player. My opinions/attitude towards GD, GK and WD is different. I find GK very restricted, because they only protect one-third of the court, while GD leads and does most of the work around court (leading, running in and out constantly, etc). And then there’s WD, restricting WA (Wing Attack) getting/driving the ball to the opponent’s goal circle.

This season for Netball, I’m placed in Grade D. It’s a fair decision/choice, since I’m a new player in their club, and also one of the youngest players there. Mostly, the age in my club ranges from 17 to about 35. There are moments where you get shifted to other Grades, but I like where I am now. Our team works together really well, and I enjoy playing with them! They are a wonderful bunch of players, and I always look forward to train with them every time. I will not regret my decision of going into a local club, rather than participating at uni. I love the atmosphere and expectations set from my coach and the club. They are a competitive, encouraging, friendly club, and that’s what I love about it!

Yes, eventually I’ll join Netball at uni, but I don’t think it would suit me now (busy schedule). I was thinking of joining our rowing club at uni. However, I think joining at a local club is great, and you get to know people around your area. There’s a rowing club really near by my place. It’s only about 20 to 30 minutes of riding to the facility, which is awesome! When Netball season ends, I’ll be doing rowing training to learn, and strengthen my knowledge and skills of rowing.

SCHEDULE?

8:15AM – WAKE UP!

I usually does my usual routine.
When I do my hair, I usually do a strong, secure pony tail.

The way I do my pony tail is like layers. I use four hair ties to secure my pony tail. Usually, the first hair tie (first layer) is taken off, because it looks ridiculous. HAHAHA. The forth layer is usually a long plait; it’s to make sure no baby hairs fall out. I also simply separate my hair, and pull together to fully tighten my pony tail. It works all the time! Then, I simply either wear a scrunchie, or a ribbon to match with my Netball dress, because why not? Hahaha.

Between 9:00AM to 9:15AM – Leave House

It really depends where the location of the match is. Today, it was a home game, and it was SO convenient for me! I live 5 to 7 minutes away by driving from my place to my home stadium! Last week, I had to leave at 9:00AM because it took me about 12 to 15 minutes to get to their (opponent’s) stadium/home ground. It’s such a different environment, compared to my last club I played with. Usually, Netball matches are held at one location at a district, but not for my district. It’s either an away or home game. I know it’s normal for other sports, but this is my first year travelling from one location to another for Netball.

Grade D:
Warm up at 9:30AM
Match at 10:00AM
Finish my match at 11:00AM

Today’s match was so intense, that I had to drink a full bottle of my sports drink, water, while eating a few slices of oranges. That’s how intense it was after I played for two straight quarters. I was dying in exhaustion, but I kept it together and I told myself to, “KEEP GOING! Just a few more minutes, and you’ll be fineeee!”

My coach usually reminds us that it’s like doing intense timed suicides, but twice the amount we have to do per quarter. It’s all about mental and physical strength. You always have to push yourself to keep going, and that’s what I love about today’s match. Even though it was a pain at times, I was so happy with myself that I kept going. I was focusing so hard in defending that fast WA for the first two quarters. You could see me sweating my ass off after my job is done for today’s match.

Thoughts during my match today?
“HOLY GOD! THIS WA IS FAST MANN!”
“Just let it go, let the WA get the ball. It’s okay.”
“OHHHH… WHAT WAS THAT NICOLE?!”
“Waiittt. Waiiitt. OKAY! GO! SPRINT!”
“Slow and steady, slow and steady. SPRINT!”
“I know what you’re doing. I know you’re going to sprint for that pass. HAHAHA. Imma defend my ass off for this.”
“Oh, why hello there? I see you’re going to move like that in a few minutes. Well, I think you should change your plans, because imma gonna face you. MUAHAHAHA.”
“I see you freaking out when I faced you. He. He. He.”
“Oh my god! I’m so sorry for contacting you… Oops.”
“Brahhh, I know what you’re doing. I can read you that easily.”
“SET UP NICOLE! SET UP! WE NEED A GOAL!”
“Oops… I contacted you by my legs. What even?”
“BAMMMM! And the ball is gone from your predicted pass. Nice intercept Nic! Why thank you!”

Yeap.

What I do after Netball?

Usually, I have an early lunch, and if I don’t have any outings, I usually stay at home and study/practise. Then after that, I have family dinner with my whole family, pretty much.

Today, I caught up with my friend who is going to return to her home country for lunch. Then, I went to NGV at Federation Square to do my MBB Assignment. It was a fantastic experience, that it made my brain hurt the end of the day. A few contemporary art made my brain go crazy, because my eyes were thinking, “what is even life? What is even vision in general? What? HOW DO THEY EVEN DO THIS?”
Then, there were a few that made me think, “this is abstract art. But I guess it ties into this exhibition? HAHHA. I don’t think so. This piece is full of shapes that is overlapping, creating some sort of 2-D platforms. Hmmm… I probably take that back, but I don’t think I’d like to write about it. HAHAHA.”

After my ‘studying’ and outing, I held to my family dinner. We usually go out every Saturdays to a restaurant, and catch up on the things we did today, or simply talking about an interesting thing we heard, or saw today. Tonight, we ate at a Thai restaurant. They serve huge portions, but it was full of veggies. It wasn’t too bad. I mean, I love eating vegetables! But, you got to have a balance of everything. The food tastes great but, I prefer the one near my place. Their Thai dishes near my place is very authentic, and they taste great! We always go back for more.

What I usually do after family dinner?

I usually study more, or either chill out. But tonight, I’m writing this blog now, while applying to more jobs. I have so many things to apply for, but it’s okay. Let’s hope I can actually get a part-time job, rather than a one shift per week that only pays $20 in total. :\
I appreciate and still thankful that I still have a job. However, my income usually goes towards my extra piano lessons, and my physio appointments. *Sigh* But it’s okay. Someday, I’ll get a proper job that pays well. Someday.

Summary?

• Today, I had a good day. 🙂
  • I’ll miss my best friend so very much. I gave her so many hugs before saying goodbye for now; I know that we’ll meet again someday, or simply catching up on Skype/Google Plus.
  • What is even life? What is even vision? WHAT IS EVEN MAGIC IN GENERAL? Illusions these days. Jeez.

Music for a good day? ‘Sophia So Far by Goodnight Radio’
OH MY GOD! You should see the video for this song… and that short film (Before I Disappear)! It’s damn awesome!

After you watch that video, you can now compare it to this version from another short film, Curfew. Curfew and Before I Disappear is similar, but this (Curfew) is the final draft of the ‘plot’ pretty much.

NOTE: After watching this scene that plays, ‘Sophia So Far’, it makes me want to do this next time when I go bowling. Hahaha.

I hope you’re having a great weekend!
I’ll see you tomorrow in my final post about my typical week!

– Nicole 🙂