Pros and Cons of Waking Up Early – Nicole

Tomorrow marks the start of our exams… annddddd we have to wake up early, if we have a 8:30am exam. What I could say is, “don’t worry man, it’ll be fine.” Nah, seriously. Pros weigh out the cons and here’s why…

PROS

1. You get to see the sunrise

Even though I catch up on my sleep on the train. You get to see a little bit of sunrise, if you’re taking a snooze ride on the train. It’s a nice feeling when you get to see the sunrise, early in the morning

2. Early trains = off-peak = sweet life

You have no idea how glorious it feels to go on an off-peak hour train ride. It feels peaceful, and you’ll most likely get a nice comfy seat. Oh, and there’s no school kids on early train rides too. Sweet!
(Sorry high-school students who read these posts, but you’ll understand when you get older. Hahahaha)

3. You won’t feel alone if you sleep on the train, early in the morning

You have no idea how many passengers take a nap on an off-peak hour train. So, it’s okay if you take one.

4. You can read in peace

It’s a good time to revise… if you choose not to take a nap on the train early in the morning. Hahaha

5. You feel that the carriages are roomy

Off-peak hour train rides = less people = happy passenger

Peak hour train rides = sardines = slightly crushed passenger

You get the feeling. 🙂

6. When you get to Flinders, there’s more room to rush though if you’re running late

When I get the 6:51AM train, and arrive at Flinders at 7:35AM, I feel there’s room to rush though. However, there’s a few days when it gets packed… with slow walkers. I don’t know why I see slow walkers. Maybe workers want to walk slowly to work, and want to watch students to be late, or probably I walk really fast.

Actually, I walk pretty fast. I’m a tall fella. So, that’s self-explanatory. Hahaha.

Usually, when it’s packed, I act smart. If I see more than three people, waiting in line to tap their Myki’s away, I quickly look for a line with less people waiting. Hahahaha.

7. If you want a coffee, it will be fresh

That’s my expectation. Usually, coffees in cafes may get ‘eh’ later on in the day. Unless you go to a really good cafe that always serve great coffee throughout the whole day.

8. You get to see hot air balloons in the city

It’s a nice feeling when you get to see some hot air balloons early in the morning. 🙂

9. Fresh cool air

Early morning in the cool season is pretty nice actually. You can breathe in the nice fresh air in the morning, and it’s a great feeling to feel that early in the morning. You can feel you’re awake in some way. Nek minute, when you go on the train, “nighty, night. Imma take a nap, and catch up on sleep”. Hahhaahaa

CONS

1. Waking up early

That’s self-explainitory. But it’s okay! After exams finish, you can sleep whenever you like. If you’re a deep sleeper, having four alarms may do the trick. Try having upbeat music playing in the morning. It gets me going in the morning.

2. Rushing

If that happens, try organising the night before. Whenever I rush, I drink a cup of milk (if I have time), or grab an ‘Up and Go’, make a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich for breakfast, and BOOM off I go with my backpack.

3. It can be cold in the morning 

Please be prepared for cold temperatures during the winter break! So wear a warm jacket, gloves and beanie! Layers is the key. You can also bring hot water, which keeps your body and throat warm.

That’s pretty much all I could say about waking up early, and catching public transport early in the morning. Good luck with your exams! Be organised and calm, and you’ll be alright. You got this bro. If you’re nervous, just remember how you dealt with it during your VCE exams. That’s how I’m going to approach before my exams.

Remember to think in the bright side when waking up early. It’s not so bad when you get used to it. Enjoy all the little things like that fresh air early in the morning.

Music suggestion for this post, if you want a nice upbeat song?
‘Dead Oaks by Now, Now.’ You know this song. It’s a pretty good song, right? 🙂

– Nicole