Looking after your body: sleep

*First and foremost, I am not pretending to be a nutritional expert or fitness guru, rather, this is what works for me!*

University is a great time in your life! Whether you feel it or not, you’re an adult now; independent in your education and becoming independent in all other aspects of your life. Looking after your body is very important during this time, not only to feel and look amazing, but also to do well in your studies (especially during exam period!)

In my opinion, there are three things you need to do to look after your body: sleep, eat and exercise.

Sleep

Most of you will already know everything that I’m about to say. We’re taught it in high school Psychology, and smart arse friends (like me) always go on about these facts. But I think they’re worth sharing!

Sleep is the time when your body repairs itself. As teenagers/adults, we need 6-9 hours sleep each night to be healthy, and ideally, we should go to bed before 10pm to complete the sleep cycles. Sleep deprivation can make you moody, depressed, accident prone, gain weight, and susceptible to colds, as well as more serious issues such as Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure. Not to mention it obviously impairs your cognitive ability which is crucial during University exams!

While going to bed at 10pm may sound like a stupid idea meant for ten year olds, I can assure you, waking up at 6:30am each day, catching the early train, and getting on with study makes you feel so productive and motivated! It may be difficult to break into the routine, but it is worth it. If you find yourself forgetting the time and stumbling into bed at midnight with a 6:30 alarm waiting, set an alarm each night for 9:30 to make sure you know to start getting ready for some quality sleep!

Once again, I’m not pretending to be an expert, but these are what I feel work well for everyone and we should all feel our best during exam time! Good luck everyone! I’m sure you’ll do superb!