How do I save money!? (Bella)

Life as a uni student can be difficult, money-wise…. all of a sudden you have an amazing freedom to go out with friends, but this can be expensive! Here are some tips I’ve found useful:

1. Dedicate money to spend and money to save

I have two jobs, so I (try to) use the money from my retail job for saving, and the money I receive from dance teaching for spending. It’s good knowing exactly how much money you have to spend and not being in the mindless drawing money out from the ATM situation, selecting “Don’t display balance” because you’re too scared to find out (guilty)

2. Yearly Myki

It is worth consulting at your local train station if this would benefit you. If you use the train 5+ days a week, it’s worth getting a yearly or monthly Myki to save money in the long run. Also, you don’t need to worry about getting fined due to faulty Myki readers, as you pay upfront for the yearly so you’ve paid for all your travel – just let the Ticket Inspector know.

3. Pick and choose uni events

I know, guys. We want to go to EVERYTHING! However, O-camps + EOX parties + balls + club events + themed parties = no money. I try to pick out ahead of time which uni events I’d like to go to, and prioritise those from my faculty first. If you would like to go to many, maybe pick one expensive one (like a ball or a camp) and go to many cheaper ones, like SOUP/O-Week parties.

4. Check out what’s free!

Who needs to buy stationery when you get 100s of free pens at O-Week!? There’s also ‘Free Fitness Fridays’ at the Sports Centre, and great discounts for uni students at many shops.

Thanks for reading. This might be common knowledge, but it’s easy to forget about saving money sometimes. Hope I could help you all out 🙂

– Bella