My Family Heirloom (Tessa)

I am in possession of one family heirloom. This heirloom comes in the form of a very large, very patterned poncho that my great grandmother had from Ireland. Today, I wore this poncho to university. In the world of black skinny jeans and gray jumpers, my ancient poncho was rather a funny site.

You see, I have noticed that in university everybody kind of ends up looking the same. Yes, there are a few ‘alternative’ dressers but even those people ultimately end up blending into the sea of conformity. Either you are a trendy sneaker person or the docs type. We are all searching for some individually and yet we try and look like our peers. Seriously people, hate on me if you must but think about it.

I have never really cared very much what I look like and I care even less about what people think of me. In wearing my poncho I am not seeking to fit in with anyone. I am not trying to make friends, attract some guy or impress the ‘alternative kids’.

Actually, it was pretty funny. One of my mates asked me what the hell I was wearing and I all but had a breakdown of giggles. You can always tell when people are giving you those looks. The up and down, with the frown of their face. In high school, I even used to offend people just because they were angry that I really didn’t care.

I am not sure if you, dear reader will take my advice but here it is. DON’T CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK. When you dress, dress in clothes that make you happy that are astoundingly weird and don’t think twice. When I was young people told me that university is a place for educated free thinkers. When I got there I saw people dressed like clones, subjects of conversations that were just too taboo and even the thought that you’re individually is an inconvenience rather than something to be proud of.

Say the thinks that are challenging, be unapologetically yourself and wear whatever you goddam want.

that’s all from me,

Tessa

Also, listen to Tom Walker (Play Dead) it’s pretty great.

2 thoughts on “My Family Heirloom (Tessa)

1. Ok, I have so much love and respect for both everything you just said and all your music recommendations! Keep them coming please haha. Your poncho sounds absolutely terrific. I’ve got a pair of genie pants splattered in paisley print that get a few weird looks but hey, I think I’ll wear them even more after reading this 🙂

2. I love love love the sound of your poncho! Stay proud! Keep being an individual. Keep being you!