Moving out of home! To a new country!

Hey everyone, Amy here!

Today’s topic will be moving out of home and adapting well to a new home and a new life! I am personally from New Zealand so that’s about three and a half hours to four hours plane ride away! At first it was incredibly daunting moving to a new country, but I knew that I would be able to find a place that I could call my second home. In order to help me feel more welcomed, I chose to live at a University College. Living at a college is a great way to meet new people and get that sense of community. It is a high price to pay financially, but there are plenty of scholarships on offer and I can assure you that the community feeling alone is worth the price. I also can’t cook very well, so catering is a big bonus!

I’ve got some general tips for those moving out of their homes too! First of all, I found bringing a couple sentimental items with me really helped reduce the amount of homesickness I felt. Some of these things were homemade items that my mum made and photos of me and my family. Another thing that really made my room feel like home was DECORATIONS! These could be anything! Posters, photos, fake plants, real plants! Putting in the effort to decorate your room can really make a big difference.

All in all, I hope anyone hoping to come to Unimelb is nervous but also excited! This time of your life will be a new experience and moving out of home could be part of that experience. To those who are already at uni, I hope you’ve found something useful in this blog post and I hope to see a few more decorations up in your rooms!

See you in the next blog post!

Here is a little peek at my walls, tee-hee:

One thought on “Moving out of home! To a new country!