Hand coloured photograph of Ormond College, 1911

Intern Profile, Carmen Mok, Archives and Special Collections Digital Presence Project

Photo of a young woman wtih long hair, glasses and in a white top.

Today we’re profiling one of our invaluable Archives and Special Collections Interns, Carmen Mok, who is completing her final year of the Master of Marketing Communications. Carmen’s Internship has assisted in the development of a new and integrated digital presence for Archives and Special Collections across our websites and social media platforms. The project aims to make collections more discoverable and engaging  to internal and external audiences. In Semester 2, Carmen has explored our collections to create engaging content for a number of social media initiatives such as #HistoryMonth2020 and completed a valuable audit of our web presence.

What is your academic background?

I am currently in the final year of Masters in Marketing Communications. The major focus of my studies is on the impact of digital media in the complex marketing landscape.

What path led you to undertaking an Internship in Archives and Special Collections?

Corresponding to my marketing studies background, I was focusing on searching for an internship in the commerce sector. However, with my experience of working for an arts institution before, I have learnt marketing skills and knowledge in the arts and cultural sector which has peaked my interest and encouraged me to seek work in the arts more broadly. With a recommendation from my faculty, I made contact with the Museums and Collections Projects Coordinator, Helen Arnoldi. While many of the projects were postponed because of the lockdown restrictions, I was fortunate to be able to interview for the Archives and Special Collections Digital Presence Project. And I’m glad that I have become a member of the innovative team at Archives and Special Collections.

How will you the skills you use now be helpful for the future?

As an Intern in the Engagement and Outreach team, I have the opportunity to contribute to the digital and social media project, for example by developing social media campaign as well as creating content for Twitter posts and the blog. These opportunities allow me to apply my knowledge and skills in a practical way and enhance my abilities in a professional manner. 

In addition, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are being restricted to work from home. Working remotely has posed challenges in terms of team connection and technology accessibility, but it is also an opportunity for me to improve my flexibility and adaptability at work.

What do you see as your options for next steps from here?

Even though working in the arts sector is completely different from my initial career goals, everything I experienced as the intern in Archives and Special Collections is beneficial for my personal and professional development. With this working experience, I have more understanding in practicing marketing communications in the arts. With this, I am more sure of my interest in marketing communications, therefore drives me to pursue my career in this area.

Something unusual I’ve discovered in the collections is….

I would say there is always much more than you expected. Surprises always come when you are diving into the Archives and Special Collections. 

Carmen is completing her internship through the Museums and Collections Project Program. If you’re interested in applying for the program next year, express your interest here.

*Featured image: Ormond College, Melbourne University University of Melbourne Archives, 1976.0013.00008. This hand-coloured photograph of the drive approaching Ormond College featured in our #HistoryMonth2020 posts in October and represents just one of many of our photographs of the University campuses.

*You can read Carmen’s blog post about one of her discoveries during #HistoryMonth2020, an unlikely intersection between Australian author and illustrator Ida Outhwaite and the Shell Company here.

Chelsea Harris

Communications and Engagement Coordinator, Archives and Special Collections