Resources For Podcasters
No doubt you are now wondering “what sort of services and resources are out there for podcasters?”.
We’ve compiled a list of some of the most useful resources and then some – but it is by no means comprehensive. There’s so much out there – you just have to go looking (or Googling).
- Google Voice: Google Voice is a telephony service that provides call forwarding and voicemail services, voice and text messaging
- Skype: Skype is a telecommunications application software product that specializes in providing video chat and voice calls between computers, tablets, mobile devices, the Xbox One console, and smartwatches via the Internet and to regular telephones.
- Zencastr: Record your remote interviews in studio quality. Simply send a link and receive a separate track per guest.
- Tape A Call: TapeACall makes it easy to record calls you’re already on, or calls you’re about to make (iPhone only). Once you’re done, the recordings show up instantly, ready for you to share or save.
- Zoom.us: Zoom makes video and web conferencing frictionless.
- eCamm Call Recorder: Call Recorder records Skype audio and video calls directly to your Mac. Record automatically, or use the record and stop buttons.
- Simple Voice Box: Free voicemail system.
- Anchor Create, distribute, host, and monetize your podcast, 100% free.
- SpeakPipe SpeakPipe voice recorder allows you to create an audio recording directly from a browser by using your microphone.
- oTranscribe: A free HTML5 app to take the pain out of transcribing interviews. Useful for journalists, academics and anyone else transcribing audio. And it’s open source, too.
- Express Scribe Free: Professional-quality transcription program.
- Trint Upload audio/video files. With Trint’s AI, get searchable, editable transcripts in minutes.
- Rev Paid transcription service, US based
- Pacific Transcription Paid transcription service, AUS based
- WriterDuet: WriterDuet is modern, professional screenwriting software that features real-time collaboration, seamless online/offline writing, and infinite revision tracking.
- Celtx: Write, breakdown, storyboard, schedule and budget your productions.
- Google Docs: Create a new document and edit with others at the same time — from your computer, phone or tablet. Get stuff done with or without an internet connection.
- GarageBand: GarageBand is a line of digital audio workstations for macOS and iOS that allows users to create music or podcasts.
- Audacity: Audacity is a free open source digital audio editor and recording computer software application, available for Windows, macOS/OS X, Linux and other operating systems.
- Reaper: REAPER is a complete digital audio production application for Windows and OS X, offering a full multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing and mastering toolset.
- Auphonic: Auphonic Edit is a non-destructive audio editor and recorder with focus on ease of use, high-quality audio and stability. In combination with the integrated Auphonic web service, you can post-process, encode, tag and publish your podcasts, interviews, music recordings on the go with a single click.
- Hindenburg Intuitive audio editing for storytellers. Hindenburg Journalist lets you concentrate on your story while we ensure audio quality
- Dropbox: Dropbox is a file hosting service that offers cloud storage, file synchronization, personal cloud, and client software.
- Google Drive: Google Drive is a file storage and synchronization service developed by Google. Google Drive allows users to store files on their servers, synchronize files across devices, and share files.
- Freesound.org: Freesound is a collaborative database of Creative Commons Licensed sounds. Browse, download and share sounds.
- Internet Archive: Internet Archive is a non-profit digital library offering free universal access to books, movies & music, as well as 310 billion archived web pages.
- Jingle Palette: Jingle Palette application was designed to be an instant jingle player for radio broadcast studios.
- Soundboard: 495215 sound clips and sound effects on categorized soundboardsfrom radio to TV to games, travel, science, animals, sound effects and sports.
- Soundsnap Soundsnap is the Leading Sound Library for Unlimited SFX Downloads. Browse 250000+ Sound Effects Used by Hollywood Sound Designers & Editors
- BBC Sound Archive These 16,000 BBC Sound Effects are made available by the BBC in WAV format to download for use under the terms of the RemArc Licence. The Sound Effects are BBC copyright, but they may be used for personal, educational or research purposes, as detailed in the license.For commercial use, you can license sound effects.
- BenSound: Download Creative Commons Music / Royalty Free Music for free and use it in your project.
- Incompetech: Kevin MacLeod is an American composer and musician. MacLeod is best known for his distribution of royalty-free library music through his website, Incompetech.com.
- Free Music Archive: The Free Music Archive is an interactive library of high-quality, legal audio downloads directed by WFMU, the longest-running freeform radio station in the United States.
- Purple Planet A free collection of royalty free music ideal for youtube and your media projects. Options to purchase commercial licences for professional use.
- Canva: Canva is a free graphic-design tool website. It uses a drag-and-drop format and provides access to over a million photographs, graphics, and fonts
- Pixlr: Pixlr is a cloud-based set of image tools and utilities, including a number of photo editors, a screen grabber browser extension, and a photo sharing service.
- GIMP: GIMP is a free and open-source raster graphics editor used for image retouching and editing, free-form drawing, converting between different image formats, and more specialized tasks
- Flickr: Free photos available to use under Creative Commons Licensing.
- SoundCloud: SoundCloud is an online audio distribution platform based in Berlin, Germany, that enables its users to upload, record, promote, and share their originally-created sounds.
- Whooshkaa Helping creators and brands produce, host, share, track and monetise content.
- Podbean: Ultra simple podcast publishing solution. Unlimited bandwidth and storage. Everything a podcaster needs to host, promote, and track your podcast.
- iTunes: Join thousands of public and commercial broadcasters, renowned celebrities and independent podcasters on iTunes.
- Blubrry: Podcast Hosting, Statistics, WordPress Hosting, PowerPress plugin, the largest Podcast Directory in the World, and more.
- WordPress: Create a free website or easily build a blog on WordPress.com. Dozens of free, customizable, mobile-ready designs and themes. Free hosting and support. Pod Hub is a WordPress blog.
- Evernote: Evernote is an app designed for note taking, organizing, tasks lists, and archiving.
- Tumblr: The service allows users to post multimedia and other content to a short-form blog. Users can follow other users’ blogs.
- Wix: Wix.com is a cloud-based web development platform. It allows users to create HTML5 web sites and mobile sites through the use of online drag and drop tools.
- Squarespace: Squarespace is a software as a service-based content management system, integrated website builder, blogging platform, hosting service, commerce platform, and domain name registrar.
- MailChimp: MailChimp provides marketing automation for e-commerce businesses. Send beautiful emails, connect your e-commerce store, advertise, and build your brand.
- YouTube (Live): For an extra level of audience interaction, you can do a live video stream of you recording the podcast.
- HootSuite: Manage multiple social media networks and profiles and measure your campaign results.
- SmarterQueue: SmarterQueue saves you hours when scheduling your social updates by queuing them to go out at chosen frequencies, and makes sure your posts get noticed.
- Buffer: Buffer is a software application for the web and mobile, designed to manage accounts in social networks, by providing the means for a user to schedule posts to Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin.
- Headliner: Makes short ‘audiogram’ videos to share highlights from your episodes
- Animoto Create impressive videos in minutes with Animoto’s drag-and-drop video maker. No video editing experience necessary.
- Transom.org Transom channels new work, voices, and ideas into public media through the Internet and workshops.
- Edison Podcast Research Edison has been continuously researching podcasting since 2005, and our data on podcast consumption is relied upon by thousands of podcasters all over the world.
Found something we haven’t mentioned? Or something better than the options above? Let us know in the comments!