Vincent Buckley Poetry Prize
The Vincent Buckley Poetry Prize is now open
This prize, worth approximately $12,000, is awarded biennially and is open now, for an Irish poet to travel to Australia in 2020.
The Prize was established to commemorate the life and work of the late Vincent Buckley; poet, critic and Professor of English at the UoM. It is a biennial award that is offered alternately to enable a poet writing in Australia to visit Ireland and to facilitate the visit of a poet writing in Ireland, to Melbourne. The Prize, which has been made available through generous donations from family and friends of Vincent Buckley, includes return airfares, and a contribution towards living expenses.
The prize winner will be an honorary fellow of the University associated with the Australian Centre.
The value of the prize is $12 000 AUD, applications close on Monday 8 July.
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to:
- present a group or volume or volumes or oeuvre of poems written in English by yourself
- have been published for commercial distribution
- be an Irish citizen
What is involved in the application?
You must submit your application online with the following information / documents to support your application:
- 200 word outline of activities to be undertaken in Australia
- Group or volume/s of recent poems for consideration by the judges
- List of publications (one page)
- Brief curriculum vitae (up to four pages)
- Copy of proof of Irish citizenship (Passport, Birth Certificate, Citizenship Certificate)
Entries must be received by midnight on the closing date.
The winner will be announced at the Australian Centre and Faculty of Arts Literary Awards event at the Melbourne Writers Festival on Saturday 7 September 2019.
Find more information here.