James Howard PhD Completion Seminar – Friday 25 June 2021, 2pm-3pm – Sounding Cultural Reclamation: Reconnecting to an Indigenous Cultural Heritage through Music Composition

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/sounding-cultural-reclamation-james-howard-phd-completion-seminar-tickets-159840229429

James Howard PhD (Indigenous Arts and Cultures) Completion Seminar

2:00pm-3:00pm, Friday 25 June 2021, Register for Zoom link

Title: Sounding Cultural Reclamation: Reconnecting to an Indigenous Cultural Heritage through Music Composition

Presenter: James Howard (Jaadwa)

Abstract: This completion seminar presents a first-person account of cultural reclamation of my Jaadwa heritage through my music practice. The research documents my observed changes in self, and positions my creative output as a space through which I realise and reflect on these changes. The creative methodologies hybridise First Nations and Western approaches to understanding sound as a form of cultural expression. Accompanying this thesis are a series of recordings that capture compositions and improvised performances that respond to and inform my reconnection to culture.

The Wilin Centre respectfully acknowledges the Boonwurrung and Wurundjeri peoples of the Kulin Nations, their ancestors and elders, who are part of the longest continuing culture in the world.