Tessa Evans

I hadn’t even heard of science communication as a concept, let alone an industry, until I took Jenny’s class back in 2013. The idea that I could write or talk about science in a fun and interesting way — as a job — changed what I thought I would be able to do with my science degree. Since then I have thrown myself into the science communication world: attending events, writing articles, and editing for an online science magazine. After finishing my Masters, I interned at The Conversation, and at an aquatic ecology research group in order to learn more about writing science for a general and government audience. This past year I have been presenting forensic science workshops in high schools all across Australia, inspiring kids in one large roadtrip. With help from Jenny, I now work with the New Zealand Science Media Centre. There, I’ll be curating science news for the New Zealand media, running their website, social media and some events. For me, understanding scientific research and being able to communicate this to journalists, is a perfect combination of my skills.

Tessa on LinkedIn