Tulio Campos

Interesting times when I enrolled in science communication subjects taught by Jenny Martin. As an international student, living for the first time away from Brazil while changing my career from IT management to research in Bioinformatics, I not only enhanced my English skills quickly, but also learned to deliver my ideas more efficiently and effectively by “knowing and engaging my audience”. Jenny’s passion for science communication is contagious, and she teaches us HOW to express our love for what we do, and for what we want to do and discover. Jenny invited highly successful science communicators from a range of channels, not limited to: radio, TV, newspaper, blog, public speakers, social media… to show that science can be present in the daily lives of every individual in many exciting ways. The knowledge and experience acquired in the subject were very supportive during my MSc. degree, and have been useful since I got into science: writing grants, reports, papers; giving talks to different audiences; sharing findings with all sorts of people inside and outside my field. We want to know the cool science you do, and Jenny can help you develop your communication skills.

I currently hold the position of Public Health Technologist (Bioinformatician) at Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (Fiocruz), an institution which is part of the Ministry of Health in Brazil. I am based at Aggeu Magalhães Research Center, located in Recife – northeastern coast. Projects involve large scale sequencing and computational analysis of DNA and RNA of human pathogens that affect the Brazilian population such as parasites, viruses and bacteria.

Tulio on LinkedIn