Janan Arslan

I’m a multi-disciplinary scientist, specialising in artificial intelligence, mathematics and statistics, and bioinformatics. I am completing my PhD at the Centre for Eye Research Australia and employed as a Research Fellow at Western Health. I am also the Chair of the Young Statisticians Network at the Statistical Society of Australia.

Communication for Research Scientists was one of my favourite subjects from my Master of Science (Bioinformatics) degree. Before I met Dr Martin, I was encouraged to pursue a type of scientific writing I now affectionately refer to as “template writing”. I have since broken free from the shackles of this outdated way of communicating science and courageously express myself in both my papers and presentations.

To be able to effectively communicate your work is a gift. When I write a paper or present to an audience, I don’t want to deliver something dry, lifeless or generic. I want my words to be laced with excitement, innovation, and creativity. If it wasn’t for this subject, I might have continued to think that template writing was acceptable. It’s not. Push your limits, be fearless, continually evolve and improve not only yourself but also the world you live in.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. – Marie Curie.