Feature Friday: Science humour

Okay team, I think I’ve lost it a little bit. Everyone in Melbourne will probably be feeling this right now.

It’s week-whatever of isolation. We stopped counting somewhere in August. We’ve abandoned all the hobbies we took up in lockdown-one, and find ourselves staring at phones or walls for hours on end.

I reckon what we need this Feature Friday is a bit of a laugh.

Anyone who knows me knows I *thrive* on puns and cringey dad-jokes. So brace yourselves, because I’m going to share some of my favourite science jokes!

Feel free to steal any of these for your next zoom meeting! And if you’re not in isolation, try cracking one when you see your friends next *cries thinking about seeing friends*.

This whole thing started when I wanted to post a joke about sodium, but I was like “Na, no one find that as funny as I do.”

Was that funny or Na? – image source: Science activism on Flickr

Then I started reading a book on Helium, and I just couldn’t put it down!

Helium is the second lightest gas after hydrogen, so it floats! – image source: Carol Young via Flickr

Speaking of chemistry, did you hear oxygen and magnesium got together?

OMg, right?!

OMG they’ve totally bonded – image source: Science Activism via Flickr

I should probably stick to chemistry jokes, we all know Math puns are the first sine of madness.

Sine waves are used in trigonometry, and make pretty waves when you graph them – image source: Lana Chow via Flickr

Back when we could travel, a photon was in checking in at an airport. The attendant asked “are you checking in any baggage today?” and the photon replied “no thanks, I’m traveling light”

A photon is a packet of light, and has zero mass! – Image source: andrea.pacelli via Flickr

You know what I also miss? Going to bars. I remember that one time a dung beetle walked into a bar and said, “Excuse me, is this stool taken?”

You know… stool as in… poop… – image source: Andy Sargent via Flickr

And then two chemists walk into the bar. The first says “I’ll have H20”, and the second say’s “I’ll have H20 too”. Only one chemist walked out.

H20 is the molecular formula for water, but H202 is hydrogen peroxide, that is lethal to drink! – image source: Kevin O’Mara via Flickr

Don’t stress though. I think they tried freezing him at -273.15°C. After that he was absolutely 0K.

A zero on the Kelvin (K) scale is -273.15 degrees Celsius, and is known as “absolute zero”: the lowest possible temperature – image source: Svetlovskiy Alexandr via Flickr

I don’t know if that last bit actually happened though, an atom told me. And we all know you shouldn’t trust atoms, they make up everything!

Atoms are the smallest piece of matter, and literally make up everything on earth! – image source: Ahmet Turkoz via Flickr

Look I probably have a million more science jokes, but all the good ones Argon.

Ar… Gon… heh – image source: Science Activism via Flickr

But seriously, I should stop.

Feel free to roll your eyes or share a science joke in the comments!

– Written by Rosie Arnold

One Response to “Feature Friday: Science humour”

1. Jenny Martin says:

Difficult to do in lockdown but for those with more freedom, how do you organise a space party? You planet 🥁