Wolverine, eat your heart out. The Honey-Badger is here!

I have come to conclude that members of the Mustelid family, which include animals like weasels, badgers, ferrets and martens are completely miss-understood. I know before I actually sat down and ‘wikipediaed’ them, I thought of them as vicious little creatures who ran around terrorizing top predators like lions, wolves and bears. But alas! There are more too these animals than just meets the eye.

One species in particular has two other more amazing qualities about it, that personally I think it should be known for!

Now it’s not the wolverine. And for anyone who didn’t know, and I was one of them until this morning, the wolverine is an animal and not just a fictional X-Men character.

A Wolverine. Source: Wikimedia Commons

No, it is the mildly named Honey Badger. But don’t let the name deceive you. This is one tough cookie.

Honey Badger. Source: Wikimedia Commons

The first, and this is what got me on the whole honey badger band wagon, is that they, for some reason, can overcome the effects of Puff Adder poison. This snake, when it bites a human, causes the skin and muscle tissues to literally dissolve. And if you don’t die, the pain would probably be so bad that you wished you would.

However, honey badgers on the other hand, in some freaky twist of evolutionary fate have somehow developed the ability to cheat death. And because they usually get bitten when they themselves are trying to eat the snake, get a tasty meal out of it!

So how do I know this scientific phenomenon occurs? YouTube of course!

If you haven’t already seen it, check it out. Honey Badger vs Snake. Pretty cool stuff.

But this amazing feat of super-mustelid power is not the only fun thing to know about them. The second is that their farts essentially have the ability to almost kill bees. Technically it isn’t really a fart per say, but they possess what is known as an anal pouch. This pouch contains an anal duct which when they get excited, like when they have found a nest of bees and want to eat the honey, secretes a ‘glandular emission’. This either makes the bees flee or leaves them close enough to death that they aren’t a problem. Kind of like what smoke does for anyone who knows about bee-keeping.

And yes, I found this out through Wikipedia. But Yes it is referenced!

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=bQjh35ER6ggC&pg=PR7&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false (page 89)

So I guess you could say the honey badger is kind of like the Superman of the mustelid family. They are indestructible against puff adder poison just like Superman is indestructible. And Superman could release massive amounts of solar energy from his eyes against his enemies, which is kind of like the honey badger. Except theirs is from their bottom region in the form of a horrible odor not a death ray!

Cool facts for an animal known pretty much only for its viciousness!

4 Responses to “Wolverine, eat your heart out. The Honey-Badger is here!”

1. worthing says:

So how do I know this scientific phenomena occurs? YouTube of course!
    LOVE IT!
    What a great read!
    I think the honey badger has a few more fans now- thanks to your inquisitiveness and quirky post 😀

2. Aziz says:

Very interesting did not know that the honey badger was this beastly. If only we can utilize their immune system or something to help us in some way.

3. katsis says:

That YouTube video is absolutely incredible! I love how the honey badger cops a lethal dose of snake venom, takes a two hour nap, and is suddenly fine again. Just think of how many honey badgers must have died for the evolution of such powerful resistance.

4. Tariq says:

Interesting read,I wasn’t aware of the Honey Badger prior to this.A fun and informative post.Thank you for this lovely bit of information.