The magic of nail polish remover

I was dyeing my hair last week and clumsy as I have always been, the hair dye has gotten all over the sink of surfaces of my bathroom. Soap obviously did not work for me and I did not have bleach, so I went on google to find some alternatives. Surprisingly, nail polish remover was a highly recommended option to remove hair dye stains. In addition to that, I have found other uses of nail polish removers that does not involve nail polish. These are summarised in the comic below:

14 practical uses for nail polish remover that has nothing to do with removing nail polish
2013 by yukisakugawa

Nail polish removers can be used to remove most unwanted household stains. To understand how that happens, we have to first look at how they remove nail polishes. You would be surprised to find out that no chemical reaction was involved. What the remover does is dissolve the hardened nail polish and putting it back to its liquid form. Acetone is an organic solvent that is found in nail polish removers. With the underlying principle of ‘like attracts like’, acetone molecules are attracted to the nail polish polymer molecules. The interaction between acetone molecules and polymer molecules are strong than that exist between polymer molecules, and the polymer turns from solid to liquid. Once the nail polish becomes a liquid, it is free to be wiped off. So as long as your stain is soluble in an organic solvent, including superglue and inks, it can be removed by nail polish.

Next time when you see a stain, don’t freak! Just get your nail polish remover and take it out, its just that simple!

References:

‘How does nail polish remover remove nail polish?’ from Madsci.org: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-12/976306105.Ch.r.html

Material safety data sheet of Cutex Regular Nail Polish Remover: http://www.westernu.edu/bin/safety/msds/vpc/cutex%20regular%20nail%20polish%20remover.pdf

5 Things to do with nail polish remover from Reader’s Digest:

http://www.readersdigest.ca/home-garden/5-things/5-things-do-nail-polish-remover

7 Responses to “The magic of nail polish remover”

1. Eileen says:

It’s the ethyl acetate that’s in nail polish remover, which is the cleaning substance. It used to be acetone (which is s stronger solvent at dissolving things than ethyl acetate).

I really liked this post, considering I actually use nail polish remover to clean a few things. It will dissolve some plastics, so be careful! Ethanol is a pretty good cleaner as well and won’t dissolve varnish and ruin the plastic on your keyboard etc.

2. Charlotte says:

Wow, miracle product! Thanks for sharing.

3. Caroline says:

What particularly caught my eye was the one where nail polish was used for leeches. It really makes me wonder how she found out about that one, other than the obvious.

4. fabianac says:

That is super interesting! I didn`t knew about all this uses!

5. Ilona says:

I tried it on my hand phone screen and it actually worked! Not for the deeper scratches though.. Interesting! Great work!

6. Bridget says:

Yes I have! And to think that we are putting these things on our nails is quite scary.

7. bjrule says:

I found this piece really interesting! Have you seen how, I think, nail polish remover can dissolve styrofoam? If not then I would definitely recommend watching a video of it