Summer comes, your nose runs

It doesn’t matter if you live in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Hobart, Perth, Darwin or Adelaide: Hay Fever and allergies hit Aussies Hard in the summer.

If your nose becomes itching every time you go close to the flowers, grass or trees in the spring and summer, UNFORTUNALLY, you are probably allergic to pollen and will suffer from the hay fever. GOD BLESS YOU!

In Australia, there are an estimated 9 million Aussies are affected from hay fever. Hay fever hits most hard during spring and summer. The worst hit regions in the whole country would be the south, and especially the south-eastern regions. This means that one third of Australia falls prey to hay fever. If you are allergic to pollen, then avoid Melbourne and Canberra like the plague during spring time. These two cities are hubs of pollen allergy. Melbourne can be difficult for hay fever sufferers because of the grass pollen getting blown into the city from the Northern grasslands. The winds in spring bring it. However, it is very difficult to determine which places are the worst hits since it differs from person to person. For some people, Brisbane has been a worse place to be in, as compared to Melbourne. → Bad news for the sufferers who live in here : (

The high seasons of Australian hay fever are:

End of July/early August to March/April

Early September to February

March onwards

Okay… There are 24 months in a year and there are 9 months are hay fever seasons! HaHaHaHaHa :-S

BTW, some guys may still have no idea on Hay Fever. Hay fever is the common term for ‘allergic rhinitis’. It is caused by an allergic response to outdoor or indoor allergens such as pollen, dust mites, fungal spores, animal fur or occupational sources. An allergen is a substance that reacts with the body’s immune system and causes an allergic reaction. Some symptoms include:

• Inflamed eyes
  • Runny nose
  • Fever
  • Headache
  • Sinus

So how to avoid the worst of hay fever seasons

• Avoid trips to the country
  • Don’t go on picnics or day trips on hot windy days
  • Get someone else to mow the lawn or feed the horse
  • Stay away from grass during daily pollen release peaks (7 to 9am and 4 to 6pm)
  • Wear sunglasses to help reduce eye exposure to allergens
  • Wash your hair before you go to bed to remove pollen that could affect you while you sleep
  • Dry linen inside, especially things like pillow cases and sheets that come close to your nose and eyes
  • Plant your garden with Australian natives as they don’t release their pollen to the wind. Nearly all natives rely on bees and birds to transport their pollen
  • Pollen from exotic trees, which are planted for their autumn colors, is often highly allergenic, so avoid going near them in parks and streets

It’s already in so-called high season now, hopefully this will give you help for your daily life if you are a hay fever sufferers. Good luck guys!

References:

http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/topic/hay-fever

http://www.healthinsite.gov.au/subtopic/treatments-hay-fever

http://www.hayfeversolutions.com/hay-fever-in-australia.html

http://kleenex.com.au/allergies/hay-fever/season

8 Responses to “Summer comes, your nose runs”

1. bcraig says:

Great topic and thankyou for the advice. Even though it is colder I prefer winter simply because it isn’t hay fever season. Good job researching the infromation; I would never have guessed that around 9 million Australians get it.

2. Zhejun Sun says:

@juanur0 I’m sorry to hear that. Melbourne is a city of hubs of pollen allergy, and the hay fever seasons last for a long time. So I think that’s why you feel worse than in your hometown. I hope my suggestions will help you feel better 🙂 Thanks for your comment.

3. Zhejun Sun says:

@Fabiane Santos I’m so sorry to hear that. One of my friend is also suffer from hayfever and she has to take medicine every time when she goes out.

I hope this can give to you help. Hope you feel better 🙂

Thanks for your comment anyway 🙂

4. Zhejun Sun says:

@ibigaran Thank you for your comment 🙂

I guess you are particularly sensitive to pollen. Hope you will feel better 🙂

5. juanur0 says:

Nice post, actually I’m from overseas but here my hayfever got worse! 🙁

6. blima says:

Thanks for the tips. Nice post.

7. Fabiane Santos says:

I suffer from alergic rhinitis, it’s SO annoying! I just decided to give up using medicine since I feel sleepy all day long and cannot be productive in this way…
    Anyway, your tips are very useful. Hopefully it will help people who don’t know why their noses run when the spring comes or how to get rid of it. Nice post! 🙂

8. ibigaran says:

Good advice! 🙂 I am definitely over hay-fever even before it starts every year. I will be definitely be reading up on the science behind it now 🙂
    P.s. Nice use of bold