POOP! More than just a steaming pile of SH*T?

You know that smelly pile of brown squishiness you flush down the toilet? It can be used to SAVE lives.

Clostridium difficile infection (CDI), is a bacterial infection of the colon, where the bacteria Clostridium difficile (C.diff) replaces normal gut flora that has been compromised by antibiotics. The bacterial infection can cause mild diarrhea, to inflammation of the colon, a potentially life threatening condition. CDI kills 14,000 people a year in the US, with many more infected.

clostridium_difficile_AJ_Cann
Clostridium difficile by AJ Cann via flickr (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)
CDiff_Sanofi
C. Difficile bacteria by Sanofi Pasteur via flickr (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

Just like an organ transplant:

Fecal transplants aren’t just some fad or outlandish fetish (it exists). It’s serious business, supported by an article in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, which concluded, “Fecal Flora Reconstitution is an effective, viable, and simple method of treatment for the difficult to treat patients with recurrent CDI who fail standard therapy.”

The basic theory surrounds the idea that healthy bacteria normally found in the colon (killed off by antibiotics) can be returned by the use of a fecal transplant. The bacteria in the donor’s feces colonize the colon and decrease the prevalence of C.diff.

Crème de la crème of poo:

But squeezing one out doesn’t qualify you as a poo donor. There are different types of poop.

poo_collectjon_Nat
Different kinds of poo visualised by user: vintagediva_nat via flickr (CC BY-NC 2.0)
Golden_poo
The best poo donor visualised by user: st3f4n via flickr (CC BY-SA 2.0)

Not just consistency wise, but importantly bacterial wise. A poop bank in (you heard right) Massachusetts is setting the gold standard for poop quality control by testing their donors, who are paid $40 per dump. This monetary incentive is bound to discover the top echelon of fecal donors.

What does it take to be top shit? It probably has something to do with diet, so I don’t think easy mac and late night kebabs will cut it.

Poo to mouth?:

“OK, I believe you. Poo‘s great but how does it work? Can I just eat it?” Nooo!! If you’re thinking of some sort of human centipede setup, I can’t blame you but it’s much simpler than that. Like any good recipe this contains an easy step-by-step guide with items you could find around the house!

1. Obtain some healthy poo. If you live alone, ask a neighbor. “Howdily doodily neighborino, remember that sugar you borrowed. We’ll call it even if you give me some of your poo.”
  2. Mix it with some water and blitz it in the blender (short bursts of course) till smooth.
  3. Load it into a nasogastric tube or an enema for optimum delivery. If you don’t have these, a turkey baster should work a treat.
poop
My drawing of poop with undigested corn. Just because. (Public Domain)

Oh yeah, one last thing. Typically, the best donors are relatives as their colon biology is similar to yours. I wonder how that shitty conversation goes down. “Mum, dad. Could you please sh*t in a cup?”

Still interested?:

Check out this huffington post article or a whole blog dedicated to The Power of Poop!

3 Responses to “POOP! More than just a steaming pile of SH*T?”

1. jfoleti says:

@dloudon That idea isn’t as shitty as it sounds (giggles). Want a smart child? We’ve got Neil Degrasse Tyson’s poop in a vial! We need to go into buiness together.

2. dloudon says:

With all the things being linked to gut flora now I see fecal transplants becoming very common. If we’re not careful I can see it going into health spa territory; get your favourite celebrity’s colony for eternal youth.

3. jfoleti says:

Did you know anything about fecal transplants? First time I heard about it I thought it was nuts.