Why being alone is a superpower

As someone who tires easily in cluttered social gatherings, my alone time is very precious to me.

Being alone: It can be argued that it’s a better superpower than mind-reading. Credit: photo-nic.co.uk nic via Unsplash

When I do have me-time, I enjoy doing a variety of activities: from rock climbing, to reading through my course content (Who says studying alone isn’t “me-time”?). Occasionally, I just simply sort through my thoughts from the week.

Now to you, enjoying solitude might sound crazy. Solitude is commonly equated to loneliness, being friendless or even selfishness to others- because people don’t want you to be leaving their Facebook messages unread for 10 hours with the excuse of “I was just busy being alone.”

How do you perceive solitude? Credit: Ismail Hamzah via Unsplash

But it isn’t that bad at all! Having some time to yourself can actually have a positive impact on everyone. Whether they believe in it or not is up to them.

If you fear the wrath of your neglected friends or see no meaning in having alone time, I’m here to get you thinking about how it isn’t so terrifying and how it isn’t absolutely useless either. Instead, you should be valuing it! So please, bear with my rambles.

Solitude has the raw definition as “the state of being alone”

But the thing is, most word carries numerous connotations. Words can have positive or negative connotations- it all depends on the context and your perception. Basically, depending on how you view it, solitude can become your biggest ally- or enemy.

But I want you to be able to see the benefits. Because when done properly, being content by yourself is one of the greatest, most versatile, super powers out there!
The best thing about it? You don’t need to be bitten by a radioactive bug to get it.

With the power of being alone, some of the amazing feats you can achieve are:

• Being your own portable charger
    I’m not saying you should plug yourself into a power bank, but sometimes life can get hectic. A little quiet goes a long way in staying sane.Think of all the instances you’ve been in an insanely crowded location: the messy traffic honking up the streets, multitudes of people rushing off to their next destination- these background noises slowly drain the energy from you.When we’re tired, we never perform our best. Taking the time to be alone lets you rejuvenate away from the collective noises of a chaotic world, in a quiet and safe space.
  • Facing your thoughts head on (without brawling with them!)
    How many times have you shoved, punched or kicked certain thoughts away, feeling like you had no time to deal with them? How many times have they snuck back, biting you on the butt when you least expected it? Scheduling some alone time is important for deep thought processing without interruptions, giving way to creativity, productivity and other useful things. Allowing yourself to think through feelings is much healthier than beating them down. That’s just ‘thought cruelty’!
  • Actually accepting yourself
    People are hardly happy with themselves and often get stuck in what we call: a comparison fallacy  We often get entangled within high expectations created from comparing ourselves to others. Embracing solitude once in a while allows you to slow down, be more realistic and more authentic to yourself. You don’t need to put a filter on your thoughts when you’re the only one there!By doing this, you become acquainted with who you really are and are able to appreciate your personal journey throughout life, without the outside influencing your thoughts. I think that in itself, should be greatly valued.

Credit: Mike Scheid via Unsplash

Being able to power up in these ways can improve your relationships with loved ones. After spending some time alone, I’m able to appreciate the time I spend with friends, family and my significant other from a whole other perceptive. I guess it all ties down to being more comfortable with who you are.

After hearing all the awesome things solitude can offer, I suggest you find a moment each week to spend by yourself. It doesn’t have to be a few days or hours. Even having a measly 20 minutes of complete solitude can be enough for some people.

12 Responses to “Why being alone is a superpower”

1. Nicole Nguyen says:

I totally get that! I too, enjoy leaving parties early, or not attending at all. (Unless it’s my best friend’s. Then they would kill me.) Glad you can relate to the blog post Stephanie. 🙂

2. Hi Nicole,
    Excellent post. I find it very relatable, as I’m not much of a party person compared to some of my friends. Sometimes just chilling out by yourself makes a difference.

3. Nicole Nguyen says:

Glad you enjoyed it Leo! 😀

4. Nicole Nguyen says:

Hi Will!

Personally, I feel like solitude can benefit anyone, including extroverts. Of course too much solitude can be bad, like how many things in our lives are terrible in excess. The difference is, I think that some extroverts don’t realise the benefits of having time to themselves. Constantly being around people and participating in activities will drain ANYONE if kept up for too long. Also, extroverts don’t need to spend as much time in solitude as introverts so it’s easier to neglect that part of their lives.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I suggest you do more research yourself if you still have questions about the whole thing. It’s best to collect many different opinions and then form your own.

This post done by Jandra Sutton mentions a couple of points from my blog and also focuses more on extroverts. Hopefully you can find it helpful 🙂

5. Nicole Nguyen says:

Yes!! Those things are amazing. Those headphones let you have your moment in even the most crowded of areas. 🙂 Thanks for reading Jason!

6. Nicole Nguyen says:

We’re the fighters of solitude! Keep at it Daisy 🙂

7. Jason Conley says:

Alone time is amazing, and I agree it does help recharge your batteries really well. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made is buying noise cancelling headphones so that i can still zone out in the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

8. daisyh says:

As someone who tries to protect my “me-time” I really appreciate this post!

9. Nicole Nguyen says:

Funny, because we’re not alone in enjoying being alone. 😀 Thanks for reading Pooja!

10. Pooja Venkat says:

“I find my true self in solitude”.

I can very much relate to this. Glad to know I’m not alone.

11. Leo Featherstone says:

Thank you Nicole, this is an empowering post.

12. Will Long says:

Cool post, Nicole!

The point about being alone to organise your own thoughts was super relatable.

Does solitude have negative effects on people who are ‘extroverted’? Or do they just not have the same benefits from it?