Why do people fall asleep more quickly when it rains?

Why do we strongly want to sleep when it rains? It is painful for people to go to work in such a situation. Some researchers had already studied this phenomenon. Now, let us see why it is so.

pipi and newspaper by Panelix

Increased negative ion content in the air

The negative ion content in the air increases when it rains. lightning and the friction between rain and air can produce a large amount of negative ions in a rainy day.

The increase of negative ions can significantly improve the human nervous system, cardiovascular system, blood system, and respiratory system. People will feel more comfortable. What’s more, the negative ions have the effect of calming and hypnosis. It is one factor which help people fall asleep easily.

Rain sounds are lullaby

Rain sounds is a rhythmic ticking sound, which sounds like a wonderful lullaby that can help people fall asleep quickly.

Studies have found that when rain sounds enters people’s brain, brain unconsciously relaxes and produces alpha waves, which are very close to the state of brain when human sleeps.

Rain sound is generally between 0 and 20 kHz. It is not upsetting. On the contrary, this sound makes people comfortable. However, if there is a sudden sound of thunder in the middle of rain sounds, it will make people stressful. At the same time, the level of cortisol in people’s body will be high.

rain drops by MaDaMeHoOliGaN

Decreased oxygen content in the air

Oxygen can stimulate the brain and make us feel refreshed. When it rains, there is more water vapor in the air, it results in lower air pressure and a relative decrease in oxygen content. In such a situation, brain begin to slack off, and people will feel sleepy.

Increased secretion of melatonin

Human brains can secretes a sleep-related hormone, melatonin, which is secreted in the dark or when the light is dark. In the rainy days, dark clouds block the sun, and the environment becomes dim. At this time, the secreted melatonin by brain increases, making people sleepy.

At the same time, a sleep-related protein are also produced by our eyes. It is interesting that the brighter the light is, the less the protein will be synthesized. On the contrary, the darker the light is, the more the protein will be synthesized. It is sure that soon sleepiness is coming.

Human activities are restricted

When it rains, there is a limitation on people’s activities. Many outdoor exercises can’t be done. For people who has nothing to do, sleeping is probably a good choice. Everyone like comfortable state, and sleep is a kind of enjoyment.

Even though people can fall asleep easily when it is rain day, it doesn’t mean that people can enjoy a high quality of sleep because when it rains, there are lesser oxygen in air. After people wake up from a long sleep, people will still feel weak and sleepy. And when it rains, people also need to spend much more time to get out of bed.

Further readings for your interest:

Why do rainy days make you sleepy?

Why does rain make me sleepy?

Do rainy days make you feel sleepy?

Why do people find sleep better in raining days?

25 Responses to “Why do people fall asleep more quickly when it rains?”

1. yufeizhang says:

Thanks for your advises! I’ll do it better next time!

2. yufeizhang says:

Thanks for your reply! Have a good day!

3. yufeizhang says:

Thanks! Have a good day!

4. yufeizhang says:

Thanks for your reading! I’ll do it better next time!

5. yufeizhang says:

Thanks for your reading!

6. yufeizhang says:

Thanks for your reading! Have a good day!

7. yufeizhang says:

Apologize for my late reply! Thanks for your reading! Yeah, it is true that a heavy rain will disturb our sleep! Eating food can make provide us with energy, but eating too much food will make us feel uncomfortable.

8. yufeizhang says:

Thanks for your reading, and thanks for your reminder! I’ll do it better next time!

9. yufeizhang says:

Thanks for your reading! There are so many factors effecting sleep, and raining is just one of them. For example, when it is exam week, I can’t sleep well also.

10. yufeizhang says:

Apologize for my late reply! Thanks for you reminder! I’m happy you can help my find out defects in my blog

11. yufeizhang says:

Thanks for your reading! Thanks for your reminder! I’ll will do it better!

12. slodh says:

This was so informative! I had no idea about the increased negative ions in the air, or the fact that negative ions are good for our bodies. This blog makes me want to research this topic even more. Great writing!

13. yufeizhang says:

Hi, I think if you like, you can try it! Have a good day! 🙂

14. Haiwei Wang says:

Very interesting blog! Would playing audio of something else rhythmic also help you fall asleep?

15. yufeizhang says:

Very thanks for your reply! This is my first blog. I know there must be some defects! I like to accept your advises to write a better blog next time!

16. Hua Ye says:

Nice blog! It’s a very interesting topic and the title is eye-popping. And the subtitles reveal the content of each paragraph, which makes it much easier to read. Thanks to yufei, I now understand why I sleep well in rainy days.BTW, it would be better to list some of the evidence supporting your idea at the end of your blog.

17. Caroline says:

Wow, I feel very relaxed when it rains and now I have some hints as to why. I found it interesting that some of the factors that help us go to sleep do not support a deep sleep – just like a glass of brandy before bed helps you go to sleep but will reduce sleep quality.
    A very interesting post.

18. Hongling LIU says:

I have thought about this question, and have searched it online, but the reply on the internet is either too simple or too professional. By contrast, your explanation about it is sample and very easy for audience to understand, although there still have few technical words. Since there are a lot of circumstances that cause people fall asleep easily when it rains, and you use a sub-title for each factor. This behaviour helps reader to easily understand this blog and follow your ideas. Moreover, you used dynamic picture which is awesome.From my personal view, this blog is pretty great.

19. Christina Crachi says:

You captured my attention with the dog photo, but you kept my attention with this cool topic! Now I know why I start to feel soothed as rain trickles down at night-time.
    Interesting point about the levels of oxygen being in the air and how that then can affect our quality of sleep!

20. yuxuanl7 says:

Good writing with all the fun facts.

21. Weiyu Lin says:

It’s surprising that there are so many factors which make people fall asleep in rainy days. And it happens that I read about this when it’s raining! What a coincidence! BTW the dog’s photo is really cute : P

22. Sophie Wilson says:

Great read Yufei! I never knew there was actually a scientific reason behind why rain makes you fall asleep, I just thought it was a calming sound! I wonder if there is a point when rain gets so heavy it actually has the opposite effect to what you describe here, and actually makes you not be able to sleep. Would you have any ideas of this?

23. Hai-Tian says:

Nice blog! It explains some secrets behind sleepiness. Now I understand why I am always feeling sleepy on rainy days.
    I am wondering if intaking melatonin could potentially provide a better sleep quality?

24. Rachel Caddy says:

It’s raining as I read this (not sure if you planned that), but I find it particularly relevant nonetheless. It’s an interesting topic, not something I’ve really thought about before!

25. tharding1 says:

The negative ions phenomenon sounded interesting, so I looked it up. I came across a meta-analysis (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23320516) on air ions. It says that they don’t affect sleep, and the only thing they affect is depression and then only in some people. The sources you list are not scientific at all. Can you provide some more evidence to suggest that this phenomena is not just pseudoscience?