Perhaps one semester without any disasters? + Volunteering!

Well – I got lots of last posts biggest issues sorted out. I now have a home to live in! It’s old and crappy and the location sucks, but it’s cheap so I can’t complain! I also have a roof over my head so definitely can’t complain!

Meanwhile though I’ve fallen in love with my boyfriend’s best friend – bwahahahahahaahaha sob. Maybe if I don’t think about it, it will go away? Does that actually work?

I got my full payments back after many many phone calls and visits to centrelink… But now they are cutting off my payments after this semester, and I have 2 full time semesters to go… So not entirely sure what’s going on there, I’ll probably have to work for a year and come back when I’ve saved enough to afford full-time study. I really hope this doesn’t happen though – I’ve not had that much luck applying for jobs in the past, although I haven’t applied myself completely so far.

Basically if you’re studying a 3 year course they only give you 3.5 years to complete it – and that would have been totally fine if I’d known. Which I didn’t. I assumed that because I was studying full time they’d let me finish uninterrupted. BZZT WRONG have some poverty.

I’m reeeeally very tired of this and related nonsense. Hopefully when semester goes back in a week or two this will all just be a dream and I can study like mad without the pressure of financial and emotional doom.

Ha!

As for volunteering, I can’t believe I’d overlooked the Leaders in Communities Award, which I really really recommend doing if you’ve the time to while you’re at uni. You’ll end up having your volunteering officially noted on your final results, but more than that it’s worth doing for the sheer damn joy of it – volunteering at university has easily been some of my best experiences here yet.

I’m also volunteering with Doncare’s “iMatter” program that teaches young women about the signs of domestic abuse and how to have healthy relationships – and I am single-mindedly stoked for this. Really. This is the best thing I’ve ever even heard of, I wish it was taught in more than just a few Melbourne schools.

An absent minded PS: it sort of looks like I only come here to complain, but I think university has become so much the normal that I don’t even think twice about university-related stuff: I’m perfectly comfortable here. It took me three years but there you go!

One thought on “Perhaps one semester without any disasters? + Volunteering!

1. Hey Shannon, I’m glad to hear your housing troubles have been sorted out! Good luck with everything else and I hope it all goes well 🙂