HOLY BAGEBUS, SEMESTER ONE DONE!

I swear, I didn’t expect that Thursday was the end of semester one for me. 😂

I hope you had a good chuckle at this, but it was taken by surprise when I realise that Thursday was my last lecture of this semester. Probably the reason why I felt surprised was how much I been through since the beginning of the year. Everything I have been through, felt like it was a flash of a memory when I kept on moving forward. It was truly surreal to finish first semester of second year.

It has been a crazy semester, I’d say. To summarise my semester up, it was some messy rollercoaster. To be honest, I didn’t expect that I would be facing a heck load of obstacles, but at least I got through them just fine. There has been moments in my subconscious when I would love to flip tables, and be saying, “I’m god damn done with this semester,” but I know it wasn’t the right feeling I should convey.

How my subconscious feels when things go down… multiple times

I think the best thing to face through obstacles is to be as calm and stable as I can, and do as much as I can on what I need to do. Having issues and problems throwing at me is pretty much a normal thing that I can handle nowadays. Becoming more deeply as a music student, I find that I admit some things that will occur in a fashion when it throws someone off the rails, and that is okay, because stuff happens, and I learn from it.

This semester, I learnt that if I keep on moving forward, and keep doing the things I need to do each day, in the most calmest manner, it will work out perfectly in the near future. Just like practising! Other than that, I also learnt the meaning of practising. This may sound a little cray, but here’s my definition of practising.

Practising. Another form of studying. Much like (as a pianist) sitting down and studying the piece. I guess for a non-music student, it will be similar to sitting down on a desk, and trying to memorise something, and then memorising it again, and again until when exams come by. If I can draw what it looks like when I imagine studying it’s like myself at a desk, with an attached piano on the desk in front of me, memorising, or learning away on my desk of a piano, with all my notes of analysing, colours of the notes I’m playing, and learning the notes, out of the piano with the sound waves I produce. Not sure whether that made sense, but it’s a crazy thought here. 

The more I practise, I bond and connect more with my instrument. The more I practise, I would think the piano is my best friend, a person, who I draw out thoughts to it. The more I practise, the more gentle I am with the piano. I am no longer bashing notes aggressively when I’m frustrated. I just take a deep breath and start again. 

I think I should write a book called, “The Thoughts of Practising,” by Nicole Ng. It’s a little crazy, but it got me thinking very deeply of studying music. Maybe I should become a philosopher. “To be or not to be.” Okay I’ll stop. 😂

I think I should be proud of myself that I have achieved, and went through so much so far this year. I deserve myself a cookie. Can someone get me cookies here please? Haha!

I wish everyone the best of your exam studies!

– Nicole

One thought on “HOLY BAGEBUS, SEMESTER ONE DONE!

1. Yes – you do. Cookies all ’round.
    I love the way you say, ‘The more I practise, the more gentle I am with the piano’. A lovely reminder to be gentle to ourselves as well.
    Best of luck with SWOT Vac!