Work/Life/Balance

Things are crazy right now; I am just so busy before I leave for Europe in a few days. I finished exams just last Thursday and every day since, I’ve been out catching up with friends, doing last minute trip organisation, seeing family….and being headhunted!

I have to say….the powers of networking are incredible. Sometimes you do think “Is it really worth putting myself out there?”. Despite being far from introverted, I’m not the most natural extrovert so sometimes I find it a challenge to introduce myself to people and “impose” on their valuable time knowing they probably think I’m just another Melbourne Uni Commerce student who thinks they are some kind of investment banking gun. One thing is for certain, I am no “gun” and I have so much to learn about IB that I wish I could get started now rather than wait another 6 months!

As for the headhunting thing. I’m happy with where I’m going next year and it’s the right place for me right now….I don’t want to start anywhere else. Almost as if he predicted something happening, Mr HT has sent regular emails over the last few weeks ending with a friendly reminder of “Stick with Firm X” followed by some kind of doomsday announcement about the market. We truly have it lucky here in Australia…not that my friends in funds management would agree!

Anyhow. Exams were pretty tough. Third year gets hard I tell you! I’m hoping I come out of it okay! Had a few issues here and there and have to say the Commerce Faculty Student Centre is AWESOME. The staff there are total legends. One day I had the most horrible morning where everything went wrong and I went there for help. I walked in feeling awful and walked out feeling like the sun was shining again. I was always a supporter of this whole “one stop shop” business and well for me at least, it’s working.

Not much else uni-related going on really….my mind is too consumed by thoughts of Europe! And too consumed by how many postcards I’ve promised to write people!!!

I hope I come back with some kind of new perspective on things….I do get to see someone I haven’t seen in a while….and I’m hoping I get some answers from that because there have been too many questions since he left.

If anything, I think I’ll come back “toughened up” by the hostel experiences! Haha!

Best wishes everyone, savour the holiday period and all the best with exam results.

xx
Sophie

2 thoughts on “Work/Life/Balance

1. We’ll miss you Sophie !!!

How long are you away?

Soak it all up and bring back some great stories.
    And be tough with him…

2. “Best wishes everyone, savour the holiday period ”

That I shall! LOL.

Enjoy your time. Please keep us posted whenever and wherever you can. =D